cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C2950G-24-EI error message

astanislaus
Level 2
Level 2

Mar 30 14:11:44.325 aedt: %SPANTREE-7-RECV_1Q_NON_TRUNK: Received 802.1Q BPDU on non trunk GigabitEthernet0/1 VLAN1.

Sw20 Gi0/1 (the one logging the above message) is connecting to Sw12 Gi0/2 which does not log any message.

I have checked a million times Sw20 Gi0/1 and Sw12 Gi0/2 and bot are access ports.

In fact the config under these interfaces are as simple as follow:

Sw20:

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

speed nonegotiate

================================

Sw12:

interface GigabitEthernet0/2

speed nonegotiate

Did show cdp neigbor to make sure that Sw20 Gi0/1 goes to Sw12 Gi0/2

sw20#show cdp nei

Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge

S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater, P - Phone

Device ID Local Intrfce Holdtme Capability Platform Port ID

sw12 Gig 0/1 148 S I WS-C2950G- Gig 0/2

7 Replies 7

astanislaus
Level 2
Level 2

One more thing I would like to add is Sw20 Gi0/1 is logging a few ( not too many ) Input errors - CRC errors.

But I cannot see that causing:

Mar 30 14:11:44.325 aedt: %SPANTREE-7-RECV_1Q_NON_TRUNK: Received 802.1Q BPDU on non trunk GigabitEthernet0/1 VLAN1.

on Sw20

Now showing show cdp neighbor from Sw12:

========================================

sw12#sh cdp neigh

Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge

S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater, P - Phone

Device ID Local Intrfce Holdtme Capability Platform Port ID

sw20 Gig 0/2 144 S I WS-C2950G-Gig 0/1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Logging too many CRCs on the Gig interface of a 2950G? Can you check/replace the cables your are using (fiber optic or Cat5/6). If errors are still incrementing, change the both modules.

Regarding the BPDU errors, how about changing both ports to DOT1Q trunking?

Explanation An SSTP BPDU that was not operationally a trunk has been received on the specified interface.

Recommended Action:

Verify that the configuration and operational state of the listed interface and that of the interface to which it is connected have the same mode (access or trunk).

If the mode is trunk, verify the same encapsulation (none, ISL or 802.1Q). Once these parameters are consistent, spanning tree will automatically unblock the interfaces as appropriate.

Sal

Please rate if it helps

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

I got this once and on two productions sw's that were running great for about a year.....after ts'g it was a cableing issue (replaced cable and error went away).

I have seen the same errors in a production enviroment in the past and it was caused by a bad fiber patch cable.

Did you change the patch cables on this issue at hand?

Sal

Thanks guys. I was going to replace the cable for the CRC errors ( although very few ) but I never thought the cable would have caused the error message I saw in the logs. Will let you know.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card