Views
Helpful
Replies

Re: Dual CE-PE connection ...

InternetB
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to confirm if I have two 3845 CE routers peering with say two 7206 routers.

7206-1 7206-2

| \/ |

ebgp /\ ebgp

| / \ |

3845-1 --ibgp-- 3845-2

In the above setup, the 3845-1 would be the primary router that sends and receive BGP routes from and to the site if it uses a higher loopback address. (bgp selection process)

This would mean that 3845-2 would be the secondary router in this scenario.

Pls advice,

Cheers,

- internetB -

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Shiva,

1) yes

2) no it is not enough to be sure incoming traffic will be sent to C3845-1

again the lowest BGP router-id is preferred not the highest: the BGP router-id is chosen as the highest loop ip address in the device. But even if C3845-1 has the lowest BGP router-id if in the SP network someone sends traffic to C7206-2 for any reason traffic will be sent to C3845-2.

Without using MED to indicate your preferred incoming point the SP can make different choices: this can be acceptable or not.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Shiva,

you may need to set MED for outbound routes and to set local-preference on received routes in order to achieve your objective.

set a lowest MED like 50 out 3845-1 and an higher metric 100 out 3845-2

route-map rise_metric1 permit 10

match ... ! acl here if needed

set metric 50

neigh 7206-1.ipaddr route-map rise_metric1 out

on c3845-2:

route-map rise_metric2 permit 10

match ... ! acl here if needed

set metric 100

neigh 7206-2.ipaddr route-map rise_metric2 out

set a local-preference higher then default 100 on c3845-1 for prefixes learned by c7206-1

neigh 7206-1.ipaddr local-preference 200

note: a lowest BGP router-id is preferred.

see

Prefer the route that comes from the BGP router with the lowest router ID

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094431.shtml

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

I have seen this document before. My question was rather if I do not set any attribute, which would be the default router that the routes take for inbound/outbound traffic assuming that the bgp router-id is higher on 3845-1 ?

Thank you,

Cheers,

InternetB.

Hello Shiva,

I was modifying my first post.

I've provided there an example of what I would do to have C3845-1 to be preferred exit point and ingress point for traffic.

the MED is the right tool to influence how traffic is sent to you.

the local-preference helps to enforce C3845-1 as the preferred exit point

If using HSRP or GLBP having C3845-1 as the active router can be enough for the outbound direction.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Gieseppe,

1) So for outboung traffic, it depends which router is active on HSRP/GLBP and if we load balance the vlans on 3845-1 and -2 for active vlans, i guess we can load balance the outbound traffic right ?

2) Now for inbound traffic, would it all come to 3845-1 if no attributes are set assuming it has the higher router-id ?

Pls advice,

- InternetB -

Hello Shiva,

1) yes

2) no it is not enough to be sure incoming traffic will be sent to C3845-1

again the lowest BGP router-id is preferred not the highest: the BGP router-id is chosen as the highest loop ip address in the device. But even if C3845-1 has the lowest BGP router-id if in the SP network someone sends traffic to C7206-2 for any reason traffic will be sent to C3845-2.

Without using MED to indicate your preferred incoming point the SP can make different choices: this can be acceptable or not.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco