Wi-Fi

Unanswered Question
Mar 31st, 2009
User Badges:

Hi All,

My company is in the process of opening a new head office building. The only addition to the normal network infrastructure being put in place is the incorporation of Wi-Fi access. I have been put in charge of this project, even though I have no idea of wireless networking. I need to produce a high-level document for management that must include topics on;

1. Physical Architecture

2. Manageability

3. Security

Could you please give me an insight of what is involved in setting up wireless networking, and also any repository of where I can obtain necessary documentation?

Kind regards

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Tue, 03/31/2009 - 04:11
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Before you start drawing up, you should consider provisioning for a Wireless LAN Site Survey. A wireless LAN site survey is a comprhensive study which aims to provide you with a picture of how many access points to deploy and where to deploy.

How do you plan to power your wireless Access Points? Standard PoE (15.4 watts) or enhanced PoE (up to 20.0 watts)?

Because there may be a large quantity of AP's involved, I'd recommend using a Wireless LAN Controller, most likely to be a 4400, a Wireless Service Module (WiSM) or the soon-to-be-released WLC-5500.

Here's the Deployment Guide for a Cisco Wireless LAN Controller:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/controller/deployment/guide/dep.html

Hope this works.

Leo Laohoo Wed, 04/08/2009 - 15:04
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

It's because the 5500 has not yet been released to the public yet.

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode