Views
Helpful
Replies

Wi-Fi

austin0824
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

My company is in the process of opening a new head office building. The only addition to the normal network infrastructure being put in place is the incorporation of Wi-Fi access. I have been put in charge of this project, even though I have no idea of wireless networking. I need to produce a high-level document for management that must include topics on;

1. Physical Architecture

2. Manageability

3. Security

Could you please give me an insight of what is involved in setting up wireless networking, and also any repository of where I can obtain necessary documentation?

Kind regards

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Before you start drawing up, you should consider provisioning for a Wireless LAN Site Survey. A wireless LAN site survey is a comprhensive study which aims to provide you with a picture of how many access points to deploy and where to deploy.

How do you plan to power your wireless Access Points? Standard PoE (15.4 watts) or enhanced PoE (up to 20.0 watts)?

Because there may be a large quantity of AP's involved, I'd recommend using a Wireless LAN Controller, most likely to be a 4400, a Wireless Service Module (WiSM) or the soon-to-be-released WLC-5500.

Here's the Deployment Guide for a Cisco Wireless LAN Controller:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/controller/deployment/guide/dep.html

Hope this works.

This is slightly off topic, but do you know anything about the WLC-5500? I can't find any information on it.

It's because the 5500 has not yet been released to the public yet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card