cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unity 4.0.5 upgrade to 7.x - easiest way for a beginner?

lundholmster
Level 1
Level 1

I'm in the process of upgrading a single box of Unity 4.0.5 UM to a new single box of 7.x UM. We are running a single exchange 2003 server.

What would be the easiest course of action?

I have never set up a unity server before from scratch.

11 Replies 11

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Here's one option:

1. Upgrade the existing 4.0(5) server to 7.x.

2. Install 7.x on the new server.

3. Use DiRT backup/restore to move the Unity info to the new box.

Take a look at the Reconfiguration and Upgrade Guide below. It references Unity 5.x, but applies to 7.x as well.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/upgrade/guide/ex/5xcuruge150.html

Hope this helps.

Brandon

I have done upgrades as listed above and I have also done upgrades using COBRAS and I would always use COBRAS moving forward.

So, using COBRAS I would install a new server with 7.x, get that up and working and then just transfer the users from the 4.0.5 server, correct?

Could I have two different version of unity running on the same network and domain? Will they work side by side as long as each server has unique subscribers?

We only have around 230 users, so it's a pretty small system.

So if you had a system with 15 Subscriber Templates, assigned to 500 different Subscribers, you would still use Cobras? Some setting do not come over from Cobras and you have to re-set up a few things with Cobras. At least with DIRT, everything comes over.

Granted, there are pros/cons using Cobras. I use a hybrid sometimes depending on the situation.

Would it be better and easier to install the new server with 4.0.5, move the users from the old 4.0.5 to the new one, make sure its working and THEN upgrade the new machine to 7.x?

Are all the settings retained with DIRT, i.e, I dont have to do much hands on with DIRT on the unity install?

This is the way I would do it. IT's much safer. DIRT retains everything. It's the entire SQL database.

Is this VM only or UM?

Here is the link to DIRT video and help files:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_DisasterRecoveryTools.htm

Also Cobras is on the same website, you can watch the video READ the help files. They are great, really.

I had a buddy that did an inplace upgrade from 4.05 to 7.x and something was wrong with the 4.x server or database. After teh upgrade, nothing worked right.... horrible rollback because he had to re-install everything back to that version.

Backup with DIRT

Pull a drive if necessary

Install your new server with 4.05 (same ES fixes, patches, etc) You can use Windows 2003 also.

DIRT Backup

DIRT restore on the new server

Let it run for a couple days to make sure everything is good to go!

Then do an inplace upgrade to 7.x. Pull a drive also on the 4.05 new server so in the event it does go sour, you can quickly rollback and try again another time.

It's UM.

So, as I understand it. After I move over all the users to the new server with DIRT, DIRT will change the users in AD so that they point to the new Unity 4.0.5 server and I dont have to do anything further on the new unity box?

Also, you replied to another post of mine, but can I jstu install MSDE using "setup.exe /blanksapwd=1"?

thank you!

Basically, AD does not care which Unity server the Subscribers are on. Unity cares.

So the basic premise here is the following:

Build the new 4.05 (using SQL 2000 SP4, it will come with the Unity 5.01 disc if you ordered the upgrade)

DIRT export the old 4.05 server

Turn OFF the server

DIRT import to the new 4.05 server

Test all your connections to CUCM, etc. Everything should be set to go.

I never had luck with MSDE. I found a copy of SQL 2000 and used it from now on.

do I have to change anything in CallManager?

You should not have to, other than possibly reseting the vm ports. If you were to run these in parrell and do a slow migration, you would need another set of hunt groups, MWI, Pilot, vm profile, etc

double post. disregard.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: