cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dial Peers w/ Gateways and Gatekeepers

b.gamble
Level 1
Level 1

When you use Gatekeepers, you have to specify "session target ras" to tell it to use RAS rather than specifying the IP address of the remote gateway via "session target ipv4:x.x.x.x".

Do you issue the "session target ras" command in the dial peer on the Gateways, Gatekeepers, or both?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dial peer says - session target RAS.

Gatekeeper has zones and prefixes.

This allows for the gatekeeper to point calls back and forth between different zones in the 'gatekeeper' configuration mode.

The gateways just need a single dial peer that says 'If I don't know where to go, ask the gatekeeper'.

Obviously fairly broad and this isn't always the intention, but it's the gist.

For more details you can pick up the gateway/gatekeeper book. It's fairly good.

-nick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi,

Unless the gatekeeper has phones registered to it directly, you don't actually need dial peers on the gatekeeper.

session target ras just tells the endpoint to query the gatekeeper for where to route the call.

hth,

nick

Crap. Before you posted that I thought I had figured it out that you ONLY need those dial peers on the gatekeeper.

I'm studying for CVoice and the text from the Cisco Press book is a bit vague on the subject.

Dial peer says - session target RAS.

Gatekeeper has zones and prefixes.

This allows for the gatekeeper to point calls back and forth between different zones in the 'gatekeeper' configuration mode.

The gateways just need a single dial peer that says 'If I don't know where to go, ask the gatekeeper'.

Obviously fairly broad and this isn't always the intention, but it's the gist.

For more details you can pick up the gateway/gatekeeper book. It's fairly good.

-nick

Thanks.

I have it straight now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: