cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

disappearing jobs in LMS 3.1

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I keep scheduling ArchiveMgmt (Sync Archive) jobs; they keep disappearing after being around for a few days. The longevity of the three I had scheduled so far: 5 days, 4 days, 9 days.

Today I was notified all the Discrepancies and Best Practice Deviation panels were blank. I don't recall scheduling any related jobs in LMS 3.1. I don't see any trace of jobs scheduled in Campus Manager to generate these. Were they even generated with scheduled jobs?

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do you have job purging enabled? If so, the old jobs may be getting purged.

Discrepancies and Best Practice Deviations are stored in ANIServer memory, and purged every time ANIServer is restarted. They will be repopulated after Data Collection is run.

I do have purging configured, but I doubt it could cause what I'm seeing. Attached please find a screenshot of the issue: Job 2214 just vanished after 9 runs. Same with its predessesors.

Thanks for the second answer. I think that's what happened.

What happened after the last instance of the job ran? Was dmgtd restarted?

Well, it's sufficiently long ago that I can't confirm or deny what transpired, including whether dmgtd was restarted or not. I could restart dmgtd tonight, if you are suggesting that could lead to the disappearance of periodical ArchiveMgmt jobs.

It's possible given your issue with the libpkcs fork problem. This may not happen moving forward.

Great, I hope that's the case.

Would any Cisco update/patch ever overwrite the java.security file?

Yes. Any time we update the included JRE, this file can be overwritten.

Given it's probably not going to get declared in big bold letters that JRE is getting update in so-and-so updates, would it be too tall an order to expect the update installer would respect the existing file, such that the old copy gets merged in? I'm assuming JRE isn't updated very often, nor would it be done by many different DEV teams (as in the case of device support pkgs). Nonetheless, the repercussions of having the find out after-the-fact that JRE was updated would be pretty traumatic.

No they do not happen often, but one is coming with LMS 3.2. A merge of existing files is not going to happen give the impact that would have on upgrade time.

In general, JRE updates come with either major or minor updates to Common Services, or when a JRE update patch is applied (in which case you'd know it's coming).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: