2950 Stack vs 3750 Stack

Unanswered Question

I have customer that requires that we keep their current 2950 series switches in place in their network and still maintain a vlan in a box design similar to a switch stack. Basically what they want to do is configure 5x2950s per stack and lace them up using 10/100 ports on the last 2 ports of the switch.

The connectivity would look like the following:

sw1-sw2-sw3-sw4-sw5

sw5 would connect back to sw1 to complete the loop

RSTP would handle the loop control for each stack.

We are proposing running a common VLAN across the 5 switch stack and then uplink the sw1 and sw5 switches into a pair of 3750 switches running HSRP on the VLAN and L3 to the core.

We would also be using an RPS to protect each switch from power supply failure. That RPS would be wired into a seperate power system from the switch stack themselves.

This is an old school design but it should still work.

Any thoughts or concerns? I would like some feedback.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Tue, 03/31/2009 - 15:14

Can you be specific of your 2950? Is it a 2950G with two GBIC modules at the end?

How are you "stacking"? Are you using GigaStacking modules?

Joseph W. Doherty Tue, 03/31/2009 - 17:28

The two "traditional" concerns:

1) extra load on transit links in cascade/daisy-chain config vs. star/hub config.

2) since you're looping the "stack", insure STP blocks links such to minimize transit switches to/from uplink switch(es) I.e. if sw1 is active uplink switch, you want STP to have sw4-sw5

-sw1-sw2-sw3

PS:

Pair of 3750s and HSRP? You're not planning on stacking the 3750s? (Although there's still an advantage of running HSRP on a 3750 stack; avoids gateway MAC change if master fails.)

Actions

This Discussion