cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 7: MWI Behaviour differs from Unity

lfulgenzi
Level 7
Level 7

Just comparing MWI behaviour between Unity and Unity Connection.

I noticed that Unity Connection only turns off the MWI after you deleted the last new message, where Unity turns it off as you are listening to the last message and turns it back on if you hangup.

Has anyone else seen this?

9 Replies 9

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unity's behavior is actualy undesirable there and I had thought the messaging team was supposed to fix that along the way - thrashing MWIs on/off as you're going through your stack (as soon as you open a message it's read, you skip it and it's back to new - two seperate MWI events go out for no good reason).

Thanks for confirming. We're at Unity 4.0(4) so it might be fixed/updated in more recent versions.

I agree, it is more efficient to do the MWI at the end.

The behavior was changed in Cisco Unity 7.0(2) and is configurable in the Advanced Settings Tool.

Conversation - Delay Mark As Read

When this setting is enabled (the default behavior), a message will be marked as read only after the recipient has completely finished with the message and has moved onto the next one without saving it as new. Note that if the message sender requested a read receipt, this setting impacts the read receipt in the following ways:

- The read receipt will not be sent until the recipient saves or deletes the message.

- If the recipient marks the message as new and continues on to the next message, Cisco Unity will not send a read receipt. This can result in delayed read receipts for users who tend to keep messages in the new message stack after listening to them.

When this setting is disabled, a message is marked as read (and a read receipt is sent, if requested) as soon as the subscriber begins listening to the message. This matches the behavior of Cisco Unity releases earlier than 5.0(1).

To change how Cisco Unity determines when to mark a message as read, enter one of the following values:

0 - Mark message read when beginning to play the message. Read receipts are generated as soon as message playback begins. Matches behavior of releases prior to Cisco Unity 5.0(1).

1 - Mark message read when the subscriber is finished with it. Read receipts are not sent until the subscriber saves or deletes the message. (Default)

Notes:

- This setting works only for Cisco Unity version 5.0(1) and later.

- You do not need to restart the Cisco Unity server for the change to take effect. New calls that come in to the system after the change is made will use the new value for this setting. Calls that are in progress at the time the change is made will continue to use the old value.

- The value you enter updates the config table in the SQL database. The value name is "System.Conversation.DelayMarkAsRead

Thank you very much.

This will help with our explanation of why things are different.

I thought I recalled this config parameter in Connection, but after a search, I can't find it.

Cool. I forgot to speak to the action taken when you hang up during message playback (weather the message is saved or marked new).

This is configurable system wide in the Advanced Settings Tool. The option is "Conversation - Mark messages read upon hangup".

I'm not sure what version of Cisco Unity the setting became per subscriber, but in Cisco Unity 7.0(2) you set this per subscriber in the System Administrator under Subscriber --> Conversation. The setting is on the Conversation page under Message Playback options.

Now that one _is_ in Unity Connection.

Hi,

We are running unity 7.1.2 and I cannot find this parameter in the unity administration - advanced - conversations section?

Am I lookingin the wrong place?

Thanks

I have a customer that recently migrated from Unity 4.x to Unity Connection 8.X.  They have a *very* busy mailbox that's checked by multiple people.  This particular mailbox is a call center mailbox.

The behavior when using Unity was as follows:

User A is listening to message 1

User B jumps in and the system would send them to message 2 (think this was happening because message 1 was marked "read")

User A completes message 1 and is sent on to message 3

This behavior worked with multiple users

The behavior with Unity Connection is as follows:

User A listening to message 1

User B jumps in and the system sends them to message 1 also

This hurts the workflow for the users since multiple people are now working on message 1

Looking for similar behavior with Unity Connection.

Is there a way to make Unity Connection mark the message as "read" (or saved) right away when User 1 user STARTS listening to message 1?  That way, when user 2 jumps in, they will hear the first NEW message (message 2)?

Or maybe there's a better way to solve this problem using a different method - dist lists or something?

In unity connection , User  >> Playback settings >>

When Disconnected or User Hangs Up During Message Playback :

Mark a New Message  :  Saved

This will solve the problem !!1

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: