cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Campus Manager 5.1.1: false Link Duplex Mismatch reports

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Campus Manager produces a mix of both correct and incorrect identifications of Link Duplex Mismatch issues. The incorrect ones invariably are in the following pattern:

Description [catos8sw,6/1],[catos8sw,2/1],[iosSwrouter,GigabitEthernet7/3]

Detail This link has ports with mismatching duplex.

Port 6/1 on device catos8sw with mode full-duplex

Device type and OS version of catos8sw:

Cisco Systems WS-C6509-E

Cisco Catalyst Operating System Software, Version 8.x(x)

Port 2/1 on device catos8sw with mode auto

Device type and OS version of catos8sw:

Cisco Systems WS-C6509-E

Cisco Catalyst Operating System Software, Version 8.x(x)

Port GigabitEthernet7/3 on device iosSwrouter with mode full-duplex

Device type and OS version of iosSwrouter:

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) c6sup2_rp Software (c6sup2_rp-JK2SV-M), Version 12.x(xx)Ex, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

---------

In reality, switch's 6/1 and swrouter's 7/3 are interconnected, while switch's 2/1 is an access port. It might be true, years ago, that 2/1 was the uplink, instead of 6/1. I'm about 70/30 sure on that.

Interestingly, the proposed FIX does not involve the switch's 6/1 at all:

[catos8sw]

set port speed 2/1 auto

[iosSwrouter]

interface Gi7/3

speed auto

These false reports seem to be concentrated in two buildings. What might be causing this behavior, either in Campus Manager or on the devices?

The only thing off that I've noticed is swrouter g7/3's IF description is still incorrectly "catos8sw 2/1". Is Campus Manager partially basing the call on that?

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This looks like stale data in the ANI database. Do you see these two devices, catos8sw and iosSwrouter interconnected with a bus link on the Topology Map?

This particular switch is an "unconnected devices", along with three others. But there's also this one switch named in Link Duplex Mismatch that is shown as connected in Topology Services.

Campus must be seeing that this switch and router are connected via CDP. That's how it would build the duplex mismatch. Post an SNMP walk of the ifTable and cdpCacheTable from both of these devices.

Please see the attachments to this TAC case. Thanks.

http://tools.cisco.com/ServiceRequestTool/query/QueryCaseSearchAction.do?caseType=ciscoServiceRequest&SRNumber=611116973&method=doQueryByCase

On another note, so far I see 4 out of the 5 misidentifications having mislabeled interface or port descriptions on one end or the other.

I think you will need to verify the connections manually.

I once found a nortel passport in between to cisco switches reporting a duplex mismatch.

There are also other vendors that will forward the CDP packets causing the topology discovery to produce bad results.

cheers,

Michel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: