Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast and IGMP Snooping

mike_guy29
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I haven't had chance to learn about multicast properly yet however have a quick question. I understand that by default IGMP snooping is on (as shown from one of my 4500 switches below)

Global IGMP Snooping configuration:

-----------------------------------

IGMP snooping : Enabled

IGMPv3 snooping : Enabled

Report suppression : Enabled

TCN solicit query : Disabled

TCN flood query count : 2

however if I run a packetsniffer I can see HSRP etc messages, meaning they are being flooded to my port. Are the link local multicast addresses for things such as HSRP and VRRP treated differently, or is it being flooded because there is no further multicast config?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike

"Are the link local multicast addresses for things such as HSRP and VRRP treated differently" -

yes for reserved multicast addresses out of the 224.0.0.x range IGMP snooping has no effect, they will be flooded to all ports within that vlan.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike

"Are the link local multicast addresses for things such as HSRP and VRRP treated differently" -

yes for reserved multicast addresses out of the 224.0.0.x range IGMP snooping has no effect, they will be flooded to all ports within that vlan.

Jon

Hi,

Thank you for confirming that. I had suspected that.

Many thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card