Views
Helpful
Replies

3845 - 4-Port Switch Module Question

iPhrankie
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

We're getting a new T3 connection and a Cisco 3845 router with a HWIC-4ESW (4-port switch module).

Would it be possible to simply plug in 3-4 devices into the 4-port switch and assign them public IPs that we get from our provider?

We do something similar already. We have a 2811 with a T1 connection. The 2811 has two built-in ethernet ports. I plugged in one server on one port and other server on the other port. Both have public IPs and everything works great.

Would having the 4-port switch on the 3845 just give me additional ports to plug in more devices?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The HWIC-4ESW is a Layer 2 switch. You can, however, assign each ports to a VLAN and each VLAN has their own IP address.

If you want a routed port(s), you should be looking at the HWIC-1FE OR HWIC-2FE.

Data Sheet for the HWIC-1FE & HWIC-2FE:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/interfaces/ic/hardware/installation/guide/fe_hwic.html

Hope this helps.

iPhrankie
Level 1
Level 1

Would the HWIC-1FE & HWIC-2FE be the equivalent of the two built-in ethernet ports on the 2811?

If that's the case, I might go with that approach. I'm familiar with configuration of assigning IPs to those type of interfaces.

I guess it would be question if the HWIC-4ESW gave me any more flexibility on bandwidth control, etc?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card