cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1522 MAP ethernet port

michaelcoffey
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! I am new to Cisco MESH and I have a basic question. If I have a 1522 operating as a MAP is the FastEthernet port useful to uplink a switch. I have a need to provide wired connectivity on both ends of a wireless MESH. I know that the traditional recommendation would be to use a bridge but I have already purchased this equipment for another purpose and would like to use it for this project if possible.

For clarity, the design would be as follows.

1. 1522 MESH ap acting as a RAP connected via wlan controller and LAN.

2. 1522 MESH ap acting as a MAP connected wirelessly through the RAP.

3. On the end of the link with the MAP I would like to add a 3750 switch or router.

Caveat: There may be 2 MAPs because of obstructions.

I apologize in advance if the answer to this question is obvious but I have searched all over and have not found a direct answer to this question.

Thanks

-Mike

6 Replies 6

dennischolmes
Level 7
Level 7

Yes you can fully use the ethernet port in bridging mode. See the WLC MESH configuration guide at Cisco's website for turning on the bridging function on the 1522. I have several networks doing this today.

Dennis,

Thanks so much for the quick response. Are you aware if there were any changes with the new merged code 5.2? I will check the configuration guide for bridging mode.

I looked in the latest version and didnt see any major changes other than qos is now supported to somewhat of a level.

Thanks again! I will give it a shot and see what I come up with.

Dennis,

Do you know if any configuration examples for the IOS(switch) side of this design ?

I am running into problems with configuring the port for the RAP. The controller config guide calls for the RAP port to be a trunk but I am using a wireless LAN controller module and it does not seem to want to land when I change the interface configuration to a trunk. Am I understanding this correctly ?

Make sure you are configuring the proper vlan identifiers in the switch and trunk the port.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: