Helpful
Replies

Port-Channel config question

astanislaus
Level 2
Level 2

Two questions:

==============

1) What is the simplest Cisco switch I can get to do Port-Channel config and test with a 3rd party switch (Extreme Switch) at remote end. -

CAT 2950 or 3550 or 3750 and exact WS- number please?

2) I cannot find one example of Port-Channel config on Cisco site where the ports in the group are all just access ports only. I don't need trunking at all. I need to put say 2 access ports in one Port-Channel.

So will this work?

Interface Port-Channel1

switch port mode access

no shut

Interface Fastethernt0/1

switch port mode acess

channel-group 1

no shut

!

Interface Fastethernt0/2

switch port mode acess

channel-group 1

no shut

Will above config just put Interfaces Fastethernet0/1 and Fastethernet0/2 into channel-group 1 and carry only VLAN1 which is the default VLAN with no tagging at all.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1) What is the simplest Cisco switch I can get to do Port-Channel config and test with a 3rd party switch (Extreme Switch) at remote end

WS-C2950, WS-C2960, WS-C2970, WS-C2975, WS-C3550, WS-C3560, WS-C3750 series family of switches.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have borrowed a WS-C3560-24PS and done the following in order to be able to connect to 3rd party switch running LACP.

I want to carry only VLAN 1 sata across Fastethernet0/20 and Fastethernet0/21.

I don't want any trinking.

Hope this should work:

interface Port-channel10

switchport mode access

switch port access vlan 1

no shut

!

!

interface FastEthernet0/20

switchport mode access

channel-group 10 mode active

no shut

!

!

interface FastEthernet0/21

switchport mode access

channel-group 10 mode active

no shut

!

!

grplante
Level 1
Level 1

Check out this link, it is for the 6500, but should cover most IOS based swithces.

Because you are connecting to a non-Cisco switch you have to use LACP for the channel protocol. This is because PAgP, which is Cisco Native, is a Cisco Protocol.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/catos/7.x/configuration/guide/channel.html#wp1027322

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the ratings.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: