cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Controllers

Joseph.roble
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 controller environment. When I set the primary and secondary controller on a ap through the GUI, the ap doesn't move to the primary. I've set the mobility groups a couple of times.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on the firmware. Firmwares <5.0 (3.x & 4.x) have a bug where this option simply won't work. You'll have to set this option using CLI with the following command:

config ap primary-base controller_name ap_name controller_management_ip_address

Also, once you assign the primary and secondary controllers, you need to reboot the AP in order for it to join the appropriate controller.

Or you can use the AP Fallback mode, found under the Controller tab in the web GUI. This causes APs to disconnect as soon as their primary controller is found to be up.

This is convenient because it fixes your AP distribution in case a controller gets reset, but it has the potential of causing issues if a controller is flopping (though I've never seen this).

Jeff,

From what I've seen with AP Fallback enabled is this:

If one controller crashes or reboots, the APs from that controller will go to the other controller that is set as their Secondary. However, once the crashed controller comes back the APs will not disconnect from the secondary and jump back to the Primary. I've found the only way to do this is to reset the APs. From what I have seen, AP Fallback mode is nice, but it doesn't seem to make the APs go back to their Primary controller.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card