HSRP and Servers

Answered Question
Apr 1st, 2009
User Badges:

Hi Everybody,

I have a current setup with Cisco 3560 swith (2 Nos) as core switch configured in HSRP.I have Cisco 2690 Switch connected to server and this 2960 switch in turn connects to 3560 switch as shown in diagram attached.

I want to change this as i found there is a single point failure in 2960 switch. I am trying to modify the setup as shown in 2nd diagram attached.

Kindly let me know whether it will as in 2nd diagram or do i need a L2 switch (2960) inbetween the two 3560 switches configured in HSRP mode

Thanks in advance and looking forward for your valuable suggestion

R.B.Kumar

Correct Answer by lamav about 8 years 1 month ago

"Kindly let me know whether it will as in 2nd diagram or do i need a L2 switch (2960) inbetween the two 3560 switches configured in HSRP mode"

You will need layer 2 adjacency between the switches so that the HSRP process can exchange Hellos to each other. So, if that GigabitEthernet link you show on your drawing between the 2 3560 switches is an L2 trunk that is passing vlan 2, then you're OK.

HTH

Victor

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Giuseppe Larosa Thu, 04/02/2009 - 01:58
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Hello R.B. Kumar,

your proposed setup is correct if the servers are using an active/standby teaming.

they will use the active NIC to reach the HSRP active router, eventually packets will go via the interswitch link if necessary.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Correct Answer
lamav Thu, 04/02/2009 - 07:49
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

"Kindly let me know whether it will as in 2nd diagram or do i need a L2 switch (2960) inbetween the two 3560 switches configured in HSRP mode"

You will need layer 2 adjacency between the switches so that the HSRP process can exchange Hellos to each other. So, if that GigabitEthernet link you show on your drawing between the 2 3560 switches is an L2 trunk that is passing vlan 2, then you're OK.

HTH

Victor

Actions

This Discussion