Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.2(1) VM with FO - Customer has moved mail storage groups

CHRIS HABBERJAM
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a customer with a Unity 4.2(1) voicemail system with FO. The offbox storage is part of their domain and the Exchange administrator has moved the mail storage groups because of corruption she had found.

The permissions for the Unity service account weren't inherited, so I got her to do this manually.

However, mail still in the UMR and errors in the event log.

My question is that can I run the Message Store wizard again from the Add/Remove Software? If I do this on the Primary, will I also need to do this on the FO server?

Thanks

Chris

3 Replies 3

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

My first reaction is... did she move the mailstore that contained the Unity_ mailbox? If Unity no longer sees the account/mailbox where it previously existed, it will go into UMR. This needs to either be moved back where it was, or in your case since there was corruption, it will need to be recreated via MSCW from add/remove like you stated. You're essentially changing the partner mail store so you would follow the reconfiguration and upgrade guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/42/upgrade/guide/ex/ru_060.html#wp1126324

Step 1 On the Cisco Unity server, log on to Windows by using the Cisco Unity installation account.

If failover is configured, log on to both servers.

Step 2 Exit the Cisco Unity software.

If failover is configured, exit the Cisco Unity software on both servers.

Caution When failover is configured, you must change the partner Exchange server on both servers while Cisco Unity is stopped on both servers, or Cisco Unity data may be corrupted.

Hope that helps,

Brad

Brad,

Thanks, this has now been done, however, just as you mentioned in your post, as I'd not shut down the FO as soon as the primary went down the FO took over and now I have 5 items in the UMR. Strangely, these are no like the other emails from the UMR, there are a few files but no associated wav files. DBWalker shows no errors. Both servers are now up and running with the correct message store configuration.

Do I need to worry about these few vm files in UMR. As it happens, there are already 12 messages in the UnityMTA/Failed folder from 2008 !

Thanks

Chris

The voice mails come in pairs, the .txt header and the .wav. If you have orphaned .txt files they can be removed/deleted, same with the old voice mails from 2008 if the users no longer exist or the messages are not important (they must not be too important if they haven't been delivered for a year with no complaints). You can try dragging those 2008 voice mails out of the Failed folder back into the Unity MTA folder and see if they get delivered.

Brad