Replies

Active/Standby SUP720 swap after reload

krygiermk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two SUP720 supervisors in a 6509 running

s72033_rp-IPSERVICESK9-M 12.2(18)SXF11.

When I am on the console of the active supervisor and I issue a reload command the switch reboots but the module that I am on boots as the standby module.

I then have to swap console cables to the other SUP720. If I restart the switch by power it on and off the active/standby modules stay the same and do not change.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance,

Michael Krygier

3 Replies 3

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Michael:

When you issue the reload command on the active SUP module, it actually doesnt start the reboot process until a split second after the other SUP because it is responsible for issuing the command and placing it on the system bus. So, it doesnt start reloading until a few ms later.

When you power the switch off, its a clean start for both.

The first SUP to come online will be the active one.

Now, quite frankly, I have absolutely no idea if what I have just said is absolute nonsense, but it sounds good...may help you get by in a job interview. :-)

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Michael,

This is a feature. It's very useful, say, you need to upgrade the IOS and you don't want any disruption. So you can, theoretically, reload the HOT module and still continue with traffic.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Michael,

>> When I am on the console of the active supervisor and I issue a reload command the switch reboots but the module that I am on boots as the standby module.

This is the reason for having two supervisors on the same chassis.

It is how sup processors redundancy works

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card