Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch crash: watchdog timer expired - Cisco 4507

Anees Ur Rehman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My Cisco WS-C4507R has rebooted twice in 24 hours, first time it showed “System returned to ROM by watchdog timer expired” in show version command and in second time it appears “System returned to ROM by abort at PC 0x0”. The crashinfo of second time is attached herewith. Kindly help me sort of the issue.

IOS version = bootflash:cat4500-ipbasek9-mz.122-37.SG1.bin

4 Replies 4

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Crashes are BAD!

Do you have collision insurance? Your premium may go up, though...

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is this it? Where's the 1st or 2nd crashinfo file? This file doesn't really give you much information.

Attached crashinfo is the 2nd one, I won't be able to collect 1st one. I know attached file contain nothing indicating to crash, moreover switch didn't leave any unusal logs on syslog server before going down. That's the thing freaking me out, there is no trace not a hint that depicts whether it's a software or hardware related.

ismailmohammed
Level 1
Level 1

The system normally restart by abort if the configuration register value's 8'th bit is set to 0, in this case if there any break sequence from the user or from the hyperterminal the system will reboot and goes to ROMMON mode with the error message on the show version as the system rebooted by Abort.

Otherwise, this could be an issue with Software related, you may have to upgrade the software.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card