Views
Helpful
Replies

on-hook and off-hook dialing behaviour

zakaria.hadj
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I would like to know if is there any way to get an IP Phone behave in on-hook like it does in "off-hook" while dialing?

Let me explain my problem : my management wish the ip phone to dial a number in "on-hook" situation without hitting the dial button.

I'm using CUCM 6.1.2 and a 7975 ip phone.

Many thanks for any reply

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Zakaria,

The problem here is that "any way you slice it" the IP Phone needs to receive Dial Tone before the call can be completed. So when you are On-Hook dialing you need to do one of 4 things to complete the call.

1. Press the Speakerphone Button

2. Pickup the Handset

3. Press the Dial Softkey

4. Press the Headset Button

There is no way around this, and it makes sense that you have to let the phone know which device you are using (Handset,Headset or Speakerphone :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for taking time to answer me.

I realize I wasn't clear enough with my problem. When onhook, I would like the IP Phone to start dialing a number when I finish hitting the 3 digits of an internal DN without hitting the Dial button or whatsoever.

In other words i would like the IP phone to dial automatically a 3 digit DN only if it is not beginning by a Zero.

Alcatel's TDM phones are working this way.

Is it possible with Cisco's?

Hi Zakaria,

I'm sorry, the same rules apply to Internal calls. This is because the phone is waiting to know what method you are using;

Headset,Handset or Speakerphone

Can't the users just pickup the Handset or Press the Headset or Speakerphone Button. They are going to need one of these to talk the the people on the other end anyways :)

Rob

I understand your point of view which is slighlty different from a CEO's. ;)

It's unfortunate we can't just set a default method. My case should be Speakerphone. This is exactly the way Alcatel's phones are working.

Hi Zakaria,

I understand ;-)

These phones are smart but they are not that smart!

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Zakaria,

Thanks for the "nice" rating. I guess the truth hurts!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: