cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA962 in SOS Recovery Mode

chris.bowra
Level 1
Level 1

I upgraded the firmware on my SPA962 to version 6.1.5a from version 6.1.3 and I'm now met with a phone telling me it's in SOS Recovery Mode.

How do I get my phone back to a usable state?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

Perhaps the phone experienced a power glitch during the upgrade process.

You can recover the phone by running the attached recovery utility.

1. Make sure that your computer and the phone are on the same subnet.
  2. You will need the phone's serial number, located on the back of the phone.
  3. Run the utility
  4. Once the phone is recovered, run the 6.1.5(a) upgrade again

Please let me know how you progress.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

View solution in original post

Hi Ivan,

I've attached the 6.1.3a recovery executable in a compressed archive file. Once you've recovered the phone, upgrade to the latest firmware from Cisco.com
https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9923

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

Perhaps the phone experienced a power glitch during the upgrade process.

You can recover the phone by running the attached recovery utility.

1. Make sure that your computer and the phone are on the same subnet.
  2. You will need the phone's serial number, located on the back of the phone.
  3. Run the utility
  4. Once the phone is recovered, run the 6.1.5(a) upgrade again

Please let me know how you progress.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi Patrick,

Apologies for the delayed reply.

The utility took the phone out of recovery mode successfully. It stayed there for half an hour or an hour and then spontaneously rebooted. It has not successfully booted since. It seems to get stuck in a rut at switch one. I don't get the normal blue Linksys and subsequent screens. Symptoms vary depedning on how it feels - somethings I get 4 orange line keys and a black but backlit screen, other times a blue and grey speckeld sort of screen and various other combinations.

Any advice on how to get the phone back to a usable state?

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

No problems about the delay, I know the feeling.

I don't understand what you mean by "It seems to get stuck in a rut at switch one. "

Can you describe step-by-step what the phone does and what is displayed on the screen when it reboots /attempts to reboot please?

Does the phone successfully request and procure an IP address from your DHCP server?

Consider running a Wireshark trace on the LAN to determine what the phone is doing when it attempts to boot.

Do you have other SPA9x2 phones in use?

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi Patrick,

I've just switched it back on, it got sidelined.

I have a white screen and the first 4 line keys are orange.

The phone is not showing up a link light at the other end, I've tried both PC and WAN ports, so is unlikely to be able to procure an IP.

This is the only SPA phone in use.

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

What do you mean by "it got sidelined." ?

Use an 8-wire CAT5 straight-through cable [that is, a regular CAT-5 patch cable] to connect the phone's WAN port to the switch.

Do not connect anything to the PC port because this is a switch port to connect a computer to in the event that there is only one cable in your office. [you'd remove the network cable from computer, place cable in phone's WAN port. Insert new cable to PC port and connect other end to computer]

The white screen and orange line keys indicate that the phone is not acquiring an IP address from the network. Once you've corrected the network issue which may be related to the switch you're connecting to, the phone should be fine.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Hi Patrick,

The sidelined comment referred to the phone being put to the side while other more important things got attention.

I've plugged the phone into a different switch and it has recovered quite nicely.

I had only tried the PC port reckoning that if the WAN port had become faulty then the PC port might be functional.

But all works fine, thanks...

Hi Chris,

Excellent. Thank for letting me know that the phone is now working.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Dear Patrick,

I have the same problem (SOS Recovery Mode) with SPA942.

May I ask you for file with repair software for this phone?

Thank you!

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

I've attached the 6.1.3a recovery executable in a compressed archive file. Once you've recovered the phone, upgrade to the latest firmware from Cisco.com
https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9923

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi Patrick,

I have the same problem and tried to use the tool but unfortunately it shows

recovery failed: cannot find the specified device

I have connected the phone and my laptop to the switch from where both devices able to get IP from DHCP.

Please help to recover the device

Hallo Patrick

Where can I find firmware version 6.1.5a for the SPA962??

Thank you very much.

Mike

End-of-Support Date of SPA962 is 2015-10-30. Firmware is no longer available for download from Cisco.

tcamatta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Patrick,

i have same problem but with one SPA941, if you can, send me recovery firmware for the model

Thanks

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I've attached the SPA941 recovery utility here. This recovery software also works for the SPA921 IP phone.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: