Views
Helpful
Replies

database install problem with cucm 7 on vmware

smallrain_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I use vmare esxi and virtual machine was configured with 2cpu, 2048MB memory, and 80GB hard disk.

CUCM 7 installation failed while running "database installation script". I got "time exceeded error" and system stuck for hours. After rebooted, I was able to ssh in but couldn't do much.

Any idea?

Thanks all,

5 Replies 5

nathanreynolds
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am having the same issue only on supported hardware (MCS-7835-h1-IPC1). Did you find a fix? Thanks!

I was able to successfully install that bad boy a few hours ago.

I made only three changes:

1. build a dns server for test lab

2. on vmware NIC was manually set to 100/full (I did notice that after cucm was rebooted during installation, link was bounced. Even though I was able to use vmware client.)

3. Again I am using vmware esxi (free version) on Dell PowerEdge 1800 with two CUP and 2GB Memory. New Virtual Machine was recreated with 1 CPU, 1GB memory and 80GB Hard Disk. Old virtual machine had 2CPU/2GB/80HD setup on failed attempt.

I used same hardware during all installations.

I have my doubt that above changes fixed the problem. But as far as I remembered, those 3 are only changes I made.

Btw, during "database installation script" process, my vm console went dark. But I was able to ssh in and monitor a bit by using command like "utils service list".

Unfortunately, I don't have time to redo antoher installation yet.

Thanks,

Hey thanks for the reply. I think you are right on with your changes. I think my problem (and yours maybe) was related to DNS. This time around I just chose not to install the DNS client and it worked just fine. Before I was specifying the DNS server(s) that we will have in production, however they were not reachable since all I have connected to the switch is my laptop and the server. My guess is had DNS been reachable the first go round it would have installed fine. Now I should be able to configure DNS and NTP after adding to production and be just fine. Thanks! Nathan

Greetings -

This issue is caused by two things:

1) DNS failing to reverse resolve

2) Running out of drive space. As best practice, set your VMware images to 80G for consistant results.

I personally don't use DNS during install and you'll get error free installations. Just be patient. Depending on your Host configuration in VM, the installs can take quite some time.

I recommend 4G RAM and 2Ghz+ for semi-normal performance.

-Joe

Thanks Joe.

I have 2G RAM and it tooke me about 4 hours to complete the installation.

Post installation scripts take forever to finish.

CUCM web admin reponse is very acceptable even with 1G RAM. I haven't tried with heavy load yet though.

Yes. It is very good advice for those who want to try cucm on vmware.

Thanks,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: