cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reset Factory Default Settings

r-livermore
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure which forum to post this question in, forgive me if it's not the correct one.

Our company has acquired a used Cisco 1800 series router that I'm attempting to reset to factory default settings. I'm connected to the router via console cable via hyperterminal using 9600, 8 N 1, no flow control, and using terminal keys. I can enter commands in user mode but since I don't have the priviledged user password I'm unable to reset it from the command line.

So, my only option is to reset it by getting into ROMMON using the "break" key at startup but the router doesn't respond to the key. My keyboard does have a "F Lock" function key and I tried with it on and off.

Any ideas you may have would be appreciated!

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rob

You have not told us what terminal emulator you are using. And various terminal emulators may have different ways of sending the break signal. And another potential issue might be how the console cable connects at the PC. I recently started using a new laptop and discovered that most of them do not have serial ports any more. So I am using a USB to serial to connect to the console. I understand that some of the USB to serial converters do not send the break very well.

Have you used this PC to successfully send break before?

One technique that should work is to set your terminal emulator to its very lowest speed. Then power cycle the router. As the router begins to boot, you press and hold the space bar for several seconds. Then set your terminal emulator back to 9600. You will hopefully be in rommon. What is sent by repeated space bar at 1200 will usually duplicate the signal of the break key.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

I'm using windows hyperterminal. I'm connected to a onboard serial port on a PC. Until now I've not tested using the break command on any other device. I will try your spacebar trick and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion. Thanks for your help.

Maybe it's a timing issue, at which point during the boot process should I be pressing the break key? Since I'm unsure I've been repeatedly pressing the key.

Rob

If your terminal emulator is at 9600 and you can see the console output I would wait till I see the message about ROMMON initialized and press the break key then. If your terminal emulator is at 1200 you will not see the console output and in that case the lights on the 1800 (interfaces, CF, etc come on briefly during self test. After the lights go out I would wait several seconds and begin to press and hold the space bar.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Aha, I got it! I had to hit CTRL + Break in order to get into ROMMON. This article pointed me in the right direction. Thanks for your help Rick!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a0080174a34.shtml

Rob

I am glad that you got it worked out.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: