Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic Redundancy between switches

cisco.net
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

I need suggestions from you all on attached proposed setup.

Actually I have three switches in network(Switch A,B,C). Switch A is the parent(main) switch from where two switches(B & C) connected for access node.

I am looking for solution where in case of failure of main uplinks i.e link between Switch A to B or between Switch A to C , L2 traffic of isolated switch diverted on direct path between Switch B & Switch C and then to uplink towards main switch A.

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you have spanning tree running , it should automatically take care of that situation assumeing all the vlans on b and c are allowed on the trunk between b and c. Make sure the root of all vlans are on switch "A" .

ralphcarter
Level 1
Level 1

As Glen said, spanning-tree will take care of the redundancy for you. Make sure you set switch A as your root bridge for all vlans.

Also, if you can, try to run Rapid Spanning-tree instead of the old 802.1d. Your failover will be lightning fast as compared to 802.1d.

Single step on EACH switch:

# spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst

Do "show spanning-tree vlan 1" (or whichever vlan) and this will tell you which ports are blocked for the specific vlan.

CCIE 26175
www.techsnips.com

@ Glen,

You mean excute below command of Switch "A"

spanning-tree vlan 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 root

One more thing....PVST is running on all switches.

Regards

Jimmy.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: