CCNA with criminal record?

Unanswered Question
Apr 2nd, 2009

When I was young, I was dumb. Plain and simple. I have a criminal record, two Class B misdemeanors.. if I did get a CCNA, would I be able to get a job in this field?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
marikakis Thu, 04/02/2009 - 23:00

I come from Greece, so I do not know exactly what the class B misdemeanors mean in your country and exactly what you have done. However, I have some words to say that might be of help to you.

My father is now 73. When he was young he committed a crime far more than a misdemeanor, he went to prison, got out. He worked for years in various hard jobs while being uneducated. He found a good woman that did not mind, got married at 40, and they had 4 kids with me being the oldest. I have graduated from the National Technical University of Athens, which is the top school in my country.

You might need to work harder than others, but do not give up. The world is living hard times right now. Try to advance your skills and prove with your constant effort that you deserve to be trusted. Try to offer your knowledge for free for some time in particular non-profit institutions such as churches and the like. No matter what your current job is, you can still advance your skills in any spare time you have. Life is cruel even without law issues, even if you have done everything by the book. Just do not give up and good luck with your efforts.

p.s. I forgot to say that my father learned how to play chess in prison and calls prison a University for that reason. Playing chess was one of the few things he taught us to play, though I have to admit I am the worst player in my family, while my father still remains top :-)

marikakis Thu, 04/02/2009 - 23:48

One more thing: One of my 3 brothers is a policeman. Needless to say my father had a problem with the "career" choice of my brother :-) This brother of mine will lent money to people that are brought to the police for minor amounts of money they owe to others. He thinks there are more chances of getting his money back from those people than anyone else more "civilized". Some people might give you a chance because you simply do not want to blow your chance. Others might be more cruel, but still do not give up.

srue Fri, 04/03/2009 - 05:46

how young were you? i mean, so young that it's on your juvenile record?

Most job applications I've ever filled out only ask if you've ever been convicted of a felony or greater.

wespearce3 Fri, 04/03/2009 - 11:37

Thanks, that's good advice.

I was 19 for the first, and 22 for the second.. so its not juvenile and still on my record. I'm just trying to find a good field of work that I enjoy, where my record won't be an impossible hurdle. Thanks again for your input guys.

jimmysands73_2 Fri, 04/03/2009 - 18:03

We were all young and dumb, at 24 I had a 2nd degree auto theft, at 30 I had assault with the use of a deadly weapon agianst a police officer....its the past, and belongs there. I still figure myself employable, and have had other network enigneering jobs in the past.....all I can say is never tell yourself no, let someone else.

jimmysands73_2 Fri, 04/03/2009 - 18:13

I cant say convictions do make it harder to find employment, but its not a deal-breaker.

richlohman Thu, 05/07/2009 - 18:02

First of all, I have a BS in Criminal Justice, and, I've held a number of management positions where hiring was a requirement, so perhaps I can lend something of value to your question.

Generally, employers can/do not ask about a criminal record with the exception of a felony. There are, of course, exceptions. If you are seeking a position in which a great deal of trust is required (national security, health care, law enforcement, etc.) knowledge of a misdemeanor may be a necessary prerequisite for the position. So, rule number one is if it's not asked, do not offer it.

Next, there is generally nothing related to networking, in and of itself, that would preclude someone with one or more misdemeanor convictions from working in the field. No worries there.

Finally, the CCNA is pretty well respected. If you can commit to the time and obtain it, you're demonstrating a level of dedication to the field that is very well regarded, and should definitely help you to obtain a decent position with a positive career path for many years. It's no guarantee - especially right now in this tough job market. But, having one puts you in a better position than not having it, and makes you more competitive.

I worked in a shop a few years back with a software developer that had a felony manslaughter conviction. This person was a very good programmer, and the felony really had no bearing on his/her ability to churn out good code.

One more thing. Getting any kind of ruling from a court (misdemeanor, juvenile, or felony) can have a serious impact on you psychologically. For those for whom it really was 'just a bad choice' (as opposed to those who simply have no remorse for their actions), there tends to be a need to continue punishing yourself for years. Subverting one's own future is not unusual. You know the circumstances better than we, and quite honestly, we don't need to know. Just don't beat yourself up over it. If networking excites you, get in and do it, and do it well. You owe it to your family (even if you don't have one yet), and yourself as a member of society to try to become more tomorrow than you are today.

Best Regards,

This Discussion