Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1242 Survey AP

Guys,

I have been asked to survey using a Cisco 1242 AP.

We only have the LWAPP model can i survey with this and if it needs to be IOS can I role it to IOS any comments gratefully received.

Mick

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If I am going to conduct a wireless site survey my AP's are running Autonomous IOS.

Radio signal are throttled down to 60% (regardless of model).

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Convert the 1242 to IOS and then get a battery pack to power up the ap so you can survey.

http://www.sparcotech.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SP-BP-002

Follow these steps to revert from LWAPP mode to autonomous mode by loading a Cisco IOS release using a TFTP server:

Step 1 The static IP address of the PC on which your TFTP server software runs should be between 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.30.

Step 2 Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1130-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for a 1130 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated.

Step 3 On the PC where the TFTP server is located, perform these steps:

a. Disable any software firewall products, such as Windows firewall, ZoneAlarm firewall, McAffee firewall, or others.

b. Ensure all Windows files are visible. From Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders.

Step 4 Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200 series access point, c1130-k9w7-tar.default for an 1130 series access point, c1240-k9w7-tar.default for a 1240 series access point, and c1250-k9w7-tar.default for a 1250 series access point.

Step 5 Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 6 Disconnect power from the access point.

Step 7 Press and hold MODE while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 8 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds) and then release.

Step 9 Wait until the access point reboots, as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 10 After the access point reboots, reconfigure it using the GUI or the CLI.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks have been trying to load this file c1200-k9w7-mx.123-7.JA3 renamed to c1200-k9w7-tar.default and all I get is

examining image...tftp://255.255.255.255/c1240-k9w7-tar.default: connection timed out

ERROR: Failed to open archive file tftp://255.255.255.255/c1240-k9w7-tar.default

Any thoughts please?

Make sure you set your ip address on your pc. Also if you have any windows firewall or any other firewall, you need to disable it. I use 3cdeamon as my tftp server.

-Scott

Hi fella,

Checked that and I use 3com too, I see the log showing it trying to access the file location then I get the error message above or access denied

You need to rename it to c1240-k9w7-tar.default not c1200-k9w7-tar.default

-Scott

tried that still says tar checksum error

Hi Mick,

Ok, here's another method.

1. In enable mode on the AP, do a "dir";

2. Do you see an IOS with a prefix of "rcv"? Is your AP booted up to this image? If you have the RCV image and you are not booted up to this image, then you need to delete (delete /f /r flash:image name) and to boot to the RCV image.

3. Is the AP loading the RCV image? If yes, then give your AP BVI1 an IP Address, and make sure it can ping your TFTP server.

4. Invoke the command "archive tar /x tftp:/ flash:

5. In configuration mode, change the boot string using the following commands:

a. no boot system

b. boot system flash:

c. end

d. boot (no need to save config

From your previous post:

Thanks have been trying to load this file c1200-k9w7-mx.123-7.JA3 renamed to c1200-k9w7-tar.default

You downloaded and renamed the wrong IOS image... that is for a 1200 not a 1240. That is why you are getting that error.

-Scott

fella...you where spot on many thanks to all who replied.

Mick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: