Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with Conferencing

jaydien1358
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I am unable for some reason to setup a 3 way conference call on my UC.

Here is my procedure:

1. Call person A
  2. Put person A on hold
  3. Call person B
  4. Hit Conference softkey

When I hit the softkey, The phone displays the following error message: "Cannot complete conference.".

I have recently configured MeetMe conferencing. Not sure if that might be conflicting.

Thanks.

Brian

www.jaydien.com

14 Replies 14

When yo configure hardware conferencing, all conferencing methods on the system will be hardware based, including ad-hoc sessions (like the one you are trying to establish). Make sure you have your Ad-hoc DN's configured. For example:

!
ephone-dn 31 dual-line
description ad-hoc conference extension
number A000
conference ad-hoc
no huntstop
!
ephone-dn 32 dual-line
description ad-hoc
number A000
conference ad-hoc
preference 1
no huntstop
!

Please ensure you keep honoring teh CCA out of band rules.

Thanks,

Marcos Hernandez
Technical Marketing Engineer
Cisco Systems, Inc.

Ok great.

Couple questions.

1. Is there an CCA out-of-band reference document?
  2. Depending on how many conference DN's you make, that dictates how many simultanious conference calls you can make?

Thanks for the help.

Brian

www.jaydien.com

Yes, there are CCA out of band reference documents.

Here is the one for CCA 1.9.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_configuration_assistant/version1_9/out_of_band_reference/cca_oob_config_guidelines.pdf

The amount of conferencing is dependent on channels from ephone-dn's, and from the amount of DSPs setup for conferencing.  For conferencing, you might also consider using octo-line DN's.  More channels, less ephone-dn's used.

Ah.... Octo-DN. That makes sence.

An octo DN can have up to 8 voice channels, or 8 people on a call, where the Dual-line can have a max of 3 people on a conference call, correct?

As far as DSP's, that depends on how many users the UC has been licensed for when you purchased it correct? So an 8 user UC would have how many DSP's?

Lastly,

If you upgrade the licensing on your UC, to lets say a 24 user, you are going to be limited by the DSP's that your motherboard has been configured with from the factory though correct?

-Bran

The DSPs depend on the box that you buy.  8 and 16 user boxes have a PVDM2-32.  A 24+ user box has a PVDM2-64.  Here is some documentation on how much these DSPs can support.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps3115/ps6024/prod_qas0900aecd8016c6ad_ps5854_Products_Q_and_A_Item.html

We are in the process of creating a *much needed* DSP calculator for UC500. It will be a static document to begin with and I will make it available shortly.

Marcos

From reading the documentation that you posted, I assume we can add more DSP modules if we would like? Up to a max of 64.

Are DSP's only used for conference calls or does each phone call, internal or external, use up a DSP channel?

Thanks.

Brian.

Onboard DSP's on the UC500 cannot be upraded or replaced (NRU). The table is just a general reference. The DSP flowchart that I am about to post will hopefully clear this confusion.

Thanks,

Marcos

Thanks.

Can you please update this thread when you post that flowchart? Thanks.

Brian

Will do. I will post later today or tomorrow.

Marcos

Here it is. Let me know if this helps

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9744

Marcos

jaydien1358
Level 3
Level 3

This helps out a great deal. Thanks for your assistance on this.

In your chart, for a 8/16 user UC520 with a 4fxo card installed, there are a total of 64 voice channels that can be used. 8 sessions with 8 users on each sessions. Can you do 1 Meet-Me session with 64 users?

Lastly, does DSP capacity at all relate to the capacity for the UC520 to handle basic internal and external phone call, without any conferencing involved. In other words, can I assume that the UC is capable of 64 individual voice call as well? Or is there a different module that handles that.

Thanks again for answering all my questions.

-Brian

Brian,

The capabilities for conferencing and regular voice calls are different. Refer to the "DSP Facts" section of that document. I have modified slightly to make it more understandable.

You cannot do 1x64. Only what's on the table.

Thanks,

Marcos

thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: