wireless roaming best practice

Unanswered Question
Apr 3rd, 2009

When setting up standalone access points on the same SSID is it best to use multiple channels that do not overlap (ie 1,6 and 11) or use the same channel for every access point?

We have 1 SSID in our office spread over 3 access points and currently I have it set to use channels 1, 6 and 11 on each. Is this correct or should I use the same channel on each?

Devices seem to operate and roam correctly I was just querying the best practice.

We cannot justify the cost of WDS.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4.5 (2 ratings)
rob.huffman Fri, 04/03/2009 - 14:00

Hi Mike,

I love the "old" saying;

"if it ain't broke...don't fix it"

and this certainly applies here. The more important element in a design like this is to ensure that you do not use over-lapping channels. Which you have nicely done :) You should be good to go!

Scott Fella Fri, 04/03/2009 - 19:12

I like the saying.... it's sooooo true. 5 Points for you! I tell my clients that all the time... Your channels are good and if you have no issues.... then no need for WDS.

rob.huffman Sun, 04/05/2009 - 08:38

Hi Scott,

Thanks buddy! Much appreciated. We are extremely cautious when it comes to changing "working" deployments. The move to new versions of code (for both Voice and Wireless) is always well researched to the point of being almost paranoid ;-)

The "better safe than sorry" mantra, is a great rule of thumb when working with these products. Too many bugs for my liking.

This Discussion