Views
Helpful
Replies

WET200 Firmware upgrade failure

portw002
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I just bought a WET200 bridge to use at our university, which requires WPA2 compatibility.  The settings in the WET200 under firmware v1.0.9 dont seem to have all the requirements, such as PEAP with EAP-MSCHAP v2 authentication, and it asks for an extra "private key password" in addition to the expected UN/PW field our university system looks for  under PEAP, so I was going to upgrade the firmware to v1.0.13.

I get the only firmware file from Cisco, which is WET200_v1.0.13-ETSI_200808.img.  When using the IE connection, doing the firmware update gives me a "Wrong firmware format!!" error.  The instructions at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10047/products_qanda_item09186a0080a36932.shtml

didnt help as it says exactly what I did.  It also conflicts with itself, implying the firmware file is a .bin, then
says it is an .img. In any case, it doesn't upgrade.  Any ideas what I am missing?  Have a bad unit? Is another firmware file hidden someplace? Its got to be
simple as it shouldn't be any more complicated than using the "Browse" and "Update" buttons!
6 Replies 6

Level 6
Level 6

Hello,

Here is the response I got from a product member for you:

There are flavors of firmware on the website for download. Both are version 1.0.13 but one is labeled ETSI. Upgrading a US product using ETSI firmware will give the error this customer is seeing. This appears to be the problem from the error message. Please ask them to download the following instead:

WET200_v1.0.13_200808.img

Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks,

Cisco Moderation Team

I am trying to upgrade a WET200 from .8 to .13 firmware.  I was able to get the firmware download started, and it switched to the rebooting screen, but has not covered from that and the router appears to be unresponsive to anything. 

What can I do to reset it and try again?

Hi Greg

I guess you have tried to reset the bridge to factory defaults according to ;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10047/products_qanda_item09186a0080a36946.shtml

When you upgrade you received a warning regarding disturbing the upgrade process your WET200. Your WET200 may now be bad, but try the factory reset.

The WET200 is supported by a three year warranty. If the factory reset didn't allow access to the WET200 management interface, you may have to  ring up the Small Business Support Center at the following location;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

There may be a charge if the unit is fixed over the phone by a technician, but if the unit really is broken, any charges are refunded.

This from what I gather,  is was put in place to stop frivolous calls into the SBSC, where people in the past used to ring support for things they can get from the user guide.

regards Dave

Yes, I reset it using the reset switch since the network side is non-functional.  Like all things networking, I needed a solution immediately for this failed equipment so I swapped in one of my trusty and never-bricks-on-an-upgrade netgear router that has WDS.  These routers have been working very reliably for me compared to my continued issues with linksys equipment.  Is it really too hard to imagine that there will be network and "people" failures in firmware upgrades and there should thus be a workable image in ROM on the device that some vulcan neck pinch can reload into the equipment so that people can continue to use the products?  This did have "small business" in the name, and I guess I was wrong to expect that I would not have business effecting problems with the equipment.  The higher-than-others price also made me feel like there might be some added value in the package...

i Greg,

There was a failure during the upgrade process, where this upgrade  process was interrupted.

You have a work around in place for your customer, great, that is the important thing. The product is still covered by a three year Warranty.

Your end user should  take advantage of the warranty we offer on the WET200, and  get the WET200 replaced and back in the network.

I think the advantage that we try to bring to the table here is people like me in Cisco, who care enough for  our Small Business customers to participate in this forum.  Mine and other Cisco folks  participation in this forum is voluntary, and something extra and a bit unique that we try to  bring to the table for Small Business VAR network.

regards Dave

It probably is still covered under warrenty.  That is not the issue.  The issue is that I spent 4-5 hours of my time trying to work on this equipment.  I installed it and it worked.  It recently stopped working.  I tried to get it  reconfigured, but was unable to because it has non-standard web pages in it that don't work on some browsers.  It was only after hours of fighting with it that I finally switched from safari to firefox on my mac book and found that the flash download appeared to work there.  Apparently it did not.  For the price of the equipment and my time, I've expended enough with this device.  Thanks for your efforts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: