cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using a Layer 3 switch as an edge router

jj-vaughn
Level 1
Level 1

I want to replace our 7206 edge router with a 4900M. The switch has 512MB and lots of options for GE & 10Gig. Obviously, the usual progession would be to a 7600, but the layer 3 switch has more than enough memory to store 2 full BGP routing tables (eBGP & iBGP). Also, the 4900M has the throughput that costs a fortune on a high end edge router. Could anyone tell me why this is not a good option?

2 Replies 2

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

I agree that the 4900M would be a much feasible option in terms of throughput unless you require advance features to be supported by the box

However the existence of 512Mb memory alone would not help to store 2 full BGP tables. As per the data sheet, the max entries that the 4900M supports is 200K (including unicast and multicast). If you really want to store that many routes, you should be looking at a diff platform

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6021/ps9310/Data_Sheet_Cat_4900M.html

HTH

Narayan

That is the one issue I have been looking at. But our 7206 (NPE-G1) today is only using around 300MB for 2 full routing tables. We receive a full routing table from both of our providers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: