Views
Helpful
Replies

Client handoff and Roaming

Gian Paolo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've installed four WLC 5.1.151.0 and the clients have roaming issues. When a client roams i can see it as "Mobility Role: Anchor" on the first WLC it connected and as "Mobility Role: Foreign" on the WLC it roamed to. The problem is after the roaming the client can't reach the network, no ping, no communication. I can ping the client from the controller it roamed to, but not from the first controller it connected (the anchor). Mobility groups are configured correctly, "Symmetric mobility tunneling mode" and "AP Groups VLAN Feature Enable" are disabled. I've configured all the controllers as DHCP with different scopes on the same subnet, so its a inter-controller roaming, not inter-subnet. I can't upgrade the controller software soon because its a production environment. To fix the problem I remove the client from the first controller, refresh its Wifi interface so it connects directly to the second controller and the network works again. Any help is welcome. Thank you.

Gian Paolo

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you can post your show run-config.

But what you can look at is make sure that the vlans are being passed on the trunk and the wlan interface is pointing to the correct subnet. If you can mping and eping between the wlc that eliminates mobility issues. Does this happen when roam occurs form either wlc?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I've tried mping and eping and both work. VLANS are passed correctly to the interface and correctly configured. All virtual interfaces have the same address on the controllers.

I've followed step by step the configuration guide, using unicast messages for mobility traffic. The four controllers are on the same switch Cat3750.

Post your show run-config and also your switchport configuration. Something isn't set right if you can't roam from wlc to wlc.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

nikhilcherian
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Gian,

Can you try to connect the client to the first WLC(anchor) and ping the client from the same WLC.

Can you make sure there is no ACL configure in the WLC of the ip address

Thanks

NikhiL

Maybe I've fixed. All the WLCs wireless interfaces associated to the SSID have address in 10.110.0.0/16 subnet but from the first controller I can't ping anything above 10.110.0.0/24 network. I've changed the netmask of all WLCs some days ago but looks like WLC_01 didn't accepted the new netmask (I've used the web interface). It's odd, maybe a problem of browser caching or something, reviewing the saved configuration of yesterday the netmask is definitely wrong. I've changed the netmask from command line and now roaming works, I can ping any client in 10.110.0.0/16 subnet.

What confused me was checking eping and mping that worked all the time because WLCs have addresses 10.110.0.x.

Thank you all for the support.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card