cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

h.323 g/w - inbound name display

will.alvord
Level 5
Level 5

I've been trying to get name display on inbound calls. CCM 4.1.3 with a 2851. I've tried with both 12.4(24)T and 12.4(11)XW10.

I've added the following configs from googling and cisco.com searches:

voice service voip

h323

h225 timeout ntf 300

h225 display-ie ccm-compatible

voice class h323 1

h225 timeout ntf 300

interface Serial0/0/0:23

isdn supp-service name calling

I've tried both with and without the "h225 timeout ntf 300" statement as I didn't see the 'name follows' message in the q931 debugs. The isdn q931 debug does show the callid name in the facility message though, but a h225 debug q931 doesn't show it in the display ie field. ...which means I'm not getting it to the phone either.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

thanks,

Will

10 Replies 10

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Will,

Can you please upload the following:

debug isdn q931

debug cch323 h225

debug h225 asn1

debug voice ccapi inout

and your sh run.

thanks

I've attached the debug output of a test call and sh run output.

In the isdn q931 debug output, I can see the company name (which I've doctor'd a bit):

-------------------8<--------------------

001145: Apr 6 18:39:22.750: ISDN Se0/0/0:23 Q931: RX <- FACILITY pd = 8 callref = 0x02C4

Facility i = 0x9F8B0100A112020101020100800A4F5552434F4D50414E59

------------------->8--------------------

There are a several leading bytes which I don't understand, but beginning with 4F5552 is the ascii code for "OURCOMPANY".

Just noticed that you asked for a debug that I didn't run (cch323 h225). I had just run the following ones requested by TAC:

debug isdn q931

debug h225 asn1

debug h225 q931

debug h245 asn1

debug voice ccapi ino

Hopefully that will be enough for you to isolate the problem.

thanks,

Will

smithn_14
Level 1
Level 1

Have you got any response or a solution on this? We are expereicing the same issue.

TAC advised me to change the switch type to primary-ni (ni2). I had a confusing call with an engineer with our carrier who stated that their switch type is 5ess but that I should use NI2 in order for the name display to work.

I'm a little fuzzy on how that could work. It was my understanding that the dchannel wouldn't come up if the switch types mismat. This engineer told me that there should be a different field/command to enter NI2 as a protocol rather than a switch type. I think he's confused, but he also confused me.

So bottom line is that TAC and my carrier are telling me to change the switch type to primary-ni. The Cisco docs state that the router will need to be restarted for that change. I have an opportunity to do that on saturday so I'll give it a shot and let you know.

If anyone has any docs or links explaining how a PRI connecting to a 5ess (or other) switch would work with an ISR with "isdn switch-type primary-ni" configured...I'd love to read them.

thanks,

Will

Hi Will,

I think what may be confusing is that the different switch types are surprisingly similar. Most of the basic call features will work with switch type mismatches. This is a very common problem. Sometimes providers are not sure what their switch type maps to on Cisco, and there is confusion for everyone.

If it works with NI2, I would run with it. I think you can probably just shut/no shut the T1 controller, change the switch type, and save yourself a reload.

Most of the switch type mismatch problem symptoms are things like strange characters showing up at the beginning of caller ID, calling name not showing at all, receiving status message that have 'invalid IE contents', and supplementary features like transfers or specific IE contents not matching up correctly.

I'd go with TAC on this one.

-nick

Cool. I've got the change scheduled for sat morning. I'll let you know how it goes.

thanks,

Will

You might also want to try adding the "isdn incoming ie display" command to your serial interface for the D channel.

Good deal. Changed the switch type to primary-ni, shut & no shut and am getting name display now. Some calls (looks like calls from cells) are only displaying the name though -- which makes it impossible to dial from missed/received directories.

Any ideas on that?

thanks,

Will

Can you post the relevant lines on the config?

Sure thing.

voice service voip

fax protocol none

h323

no h225 timeout keepalive

h225 timeout ntf 300

call preserve limit-media-detection

modem passthrough nse codec g711ulaw

interface Serial0/0/0:23

no ip address

encapsulation hdlc

no logging event link-status

isdn switch-type primary-ni

isdn incoming-voice voice

isdn map address ^011.* plan unknown type unknown

isdn supp-service name calling

no cdp enable

thanks,

Will

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: