cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

High txload on central router

cottenclay7478
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 3825 router that records high txloads on all serial interface "250/255". I have tried netflow to see if any devices transmitting, nothing abnormal. I have 4 bundle T1s using ppp multilink and 1 frame-relay connection.

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since 4 bundled T1s provide about 6 Mbps, assuming the LAN side supports 10 Mbps or more, it's certainly possible to saturate the WAN bundle. Is this unexpected?

This is a central router that connects 2 remote sites by 2(x)T1s; 3megs per site. When I do a show interface, at random my serial interface would respond with i.e (reliability 255/255, txload 250/255, rxload 20/255. This suggest to me that this central router is sending high volume of traffic through the serial interface. I think this is some line error or configuration error?

Asymetric bandwidth demand can be common when a HQ site communicates with remote sites. (Similar to "consumer" Internet ADSL and/or cable.)

Of possible more concern than asymetrically bandwidth utilization is the high transmission load. This might be investigated further to detmine whether (critical) applications are being impacted.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card