cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

shaper for 2 customers and 2 uplinks.

Eugene Khabarov
Level 7
Level 7

Hello! I need to deploy shaper for one of our customer. But there is a problem with selection of interface and direction.

My network topology looks like this:

ISP1--e1-Router1-e0-e0-Router2-e1--ISP2

Our customer have 2 devices. One of them connected to R1, other to R2. So problem is how to apply shaper to allow only 256k download bandwidth for this customer. This task is look like adaptive bandwidth allocation but for two routers.

How we can accomplish it?

Is iit possible?

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm unaware of a method to easily enforce an aggregate bandwidth limitation across two distinct paths/devices. Usually, you would have the traffic flow though one device and control it there. (It's possible to still support fault tolerance, you either need it on the single device/stack or use two devices in a active/standby configuration.)

>>Usually, you would have the traffic flow though one device and control it there.

This is impossible because of load balancing. One uplink can't provide enough throughput.

"This is impossible because of load balancing. One uplink can't provide enough throughput. "

Multiple uplinks and load balancing are not always mutually exclusive. If fact, some multiple link load balancing actually works better on the same device.

I agree with you, but my R1 and R2 are in about 5km distance. So it is not easy to change network topology and bring 2nd uplink to first router.

I wasn't suggesting you needed to have both uplinks connected to the same router. In your case, what I had in mind was some other common point on the inside that you could direct all the customer's traffic through and control it there.

If your two 5Km apart WAN routers also imply the customer's hosts (note plural) are split across something like two locations, other than forcing the traffic to combine at some interior point, again, I'm unaware of an easy (or any method) to control the rate of traffic as as aggregate between multiple routers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: