Admin Password reverting to default

Unanswered Question
Apr 6th, 2009

We have a VPN Concentrator 3000 which was working fine. Suddenly for no apparent reason the admin password reset itself to the default. I can change the password on the Concentrator to anything and it will work. I can write the new config to flash it will say that it's done Ok, but it reverts back to the default password after a reboot. If I change any other settings and write them to flash it works. This only affects the admin password. If I change multiple settings, save them then reboot. It saves everything except the admin password. Everything else is working fine and the users are unaffected. Obviously having the default password is a security risk. Anything I try seems to have no effect. Any ideas as to what's going on, or how I can permanently change the admin password?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
mchin345 Fri, 04/10/2009 - 07:07

To change the password for the admin administrator user, follow these steps:

Step 1 In the Password field, enter a new password. For maximum security, the password should be at least 8 characters long, a mixture of upper- and lower-case alphabetic and numeric characters, and not easily guessed; for example, W8j9Haq3. (The field shows only asterisks.)

Step 2 In the Verify field, re-enter the new password to verify it.

Step 3 Click Continue to proceed

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn3000/vpn3000_47/quick/guide/gs3mgr.html#wp1051272

Actions

This Discussion