cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3640 MetroE config

kevinkruzel
Level 1
Level 1

Im am trying to configure a new Metro E connection to our site. I was told to purchase a cisco3640 router with a 2FE2W module. I am having trouble setting up the encapsulation dot1Q Vlan portion of the configuration. What are the commands to do this, and do you have any sample configurations that I can use a guide. I am new to the Metro E and am lost with this configuration. Also, Does my router support encapsulation I am running IOS 12.2(46a).

7 Replies 7

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

You can treat the Metro-E connection as you would any other ethernet trunk configuration:

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

description Connection to TLS

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

load-interval 60

HTH

Victor

Thanks for the reply, but this is a router not a switch, what are the commands to enable encapsulation dot1q vlan-id on a router? My router does not support the command Switchport.

Hello Kevin,

on a route you can use vlan-based subinterfaces

int gi0/0

no ip address

int g0/0.10

enc dot1q 10

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

int g0/0.20

enc dot1q 20

ip address 10.10.20.1 255.255.255.0

and so on

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Even while in sub-interface config mode there is no Enc, or encapsulation command available. there is not a enc, encapsulation command under any config mode.

hello Kevin,

you probably need an IOS upgrade to a better feature set.

you probably have some ip base IOS package.

May you post a sh ver

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Im sorry, I thought it was a switch. Forgot that you said its a 3640.

Then what Giuseppe recommended is right.

You are saying that this router's IOS is not allowing you to create subinterfaces? Or is it not allowing you to create this router on a stick?

Can you elaborate? Maybe show the output of the failed command attempt...?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

" I was told to purchase a cisco3640 router with a 2FE2W module. "

Who advised you this??? The Cisco 3600 router has been End-Of-Sale since 31 December 2003.

The only "Metro Ethernet" appliance I know (correct me if I'm wrong) are 3400 and 3750 ME switches:

Data Sheet: Cisco ME 3400E Series Ethernet Access Switches

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9637/index.html

Data Sheet: Cisco Catalyst 3750 Metro Series Switches

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5532/product_data_sheet0900aecd806e27b9.html

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card