cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VOIP setup for the lab

dclee
Level 1
Level 1

Next year we are planning a VOIP migration for some of our in house users. We dont have any WAN connections and bandwidth between floors are gigabit.

What I am looking to do is buy a small setup for our lab this year so I can begin to learn about VOIP etc. So far I have researched and this is what I am considering buying.

- Cisco 2801-V/K9

- VIC2-2FX0 voice interface card

- 3560 24 port 10/100 POE standard image

- 5 7940G ip phones.

Is this a decent setup for the lab ?

Would it allow me to configure a basic voip setup and learn the fundamentals of configuring VOIP ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

4 Replies 4

didyap
Level 6
Level 6

You'll have more luck with this question in the IP Telephony forum. I would say the setup looks pretty good though.

You may also want to look into the UC500 Platform.

hth, please rate

Regards,

Justin

Hi Dave,

You can probably get away with this for even less.

You could probably get something like a 1751-V with PVDM-256k and VIC-2FXS with the IP phones. You may need the power bricks in this scenario.

Alternatively,

CISCO2621XM with NM-2V with VIC-2FXS and the phones/bricks

But yes, your current setup will work. You would need to add something like a PVDM2-8, PVDM2-16, or PVDM2-32 for DSP resources, with the number depending on whether or not you want to play with transcoding/conferencing.

hth,

nick

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

yes, you would be able to setup a very nice CCME system with all that. You could introduce some variations on the phone models to find out which one is better for you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: