cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to backup bootfile and config file using TFTP server?

sivaprakasam81
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We will conduct testing in catalyst 6500 Switch to verify the hardware funcitonality. The Switch is engaged with important traffic. What backup do i need to carryout before reboot? how to backup bootfile and configuration file? Can you please provide the process to do TFTP backup in Catalyst 6500 Switch runs Cisco IOS?

Thank you,

8 Replies 8

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to identify where the IOS image is stored (disk0 or disk1), then issue:

copy diskx:[ios-filename.bin] tftp:

As for the configuration:

copy running-config tftp:

More information and syntax related to the copy command, please take a moment and read the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/fundamentals/command/reference/cf_c1.html#wp1064741

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thank you for the information. How can i verify that the backup and config files are stored safely and correctly? do you have any tips? can i use tftpd32 as the tftp server for backup?

Thanks again. :)

The IOS can be verified by checking the file size. With that said, the IOS can be obtained from Cisco.com in case the transfer was unsuccessful. I don't see backing up the IOS as a mandatory step.

As for the running-configuration, it will be transferred as a txt file which can be viewed with any text editor.

You can achieve the same results by telneting into the switch and capturing the output of a show run

Since you have a switch, there is an additional vital file you must be aware of - that is 'vlan.dat'. This file stores your Vlan information and depending on how your VTP is configured, you may need or may not need to backup this file.

If you are running VTP server/client mode with other switches, then you don't need to backup this file as a copy is stored in the other switches.

If you are running VTP Transparent, the information is part of the running-configuration thus no extra-step is needed.

Now, if you are running in VTP Server/Client mode and you have no other switches in this environment sharing the VTP database, then you must also backup this file.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Edison, I appreciate your efforts and thank you very much!

Can i use tftp32 as a TFTP server or do i need to go for any high end TFTP server application?

tftpd32*

You can use tftp32 for this task but you can also use ftp for this task as well. I stopped using tftp for file transfer a while ago as ftp provides a reliable delivery of packets.

I personally use filezilla for ftp client and server.

__

Edison.

Okay, how do i configure FTP client on Catalyst 6500? then how can i do transfer from Catalyst 6500 to filezilla server?

Thanks in advance.

On the copy option, you can either choose ftp or tftp as the destination. The link I provided explains the 'URL' source | destination options.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: