Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Crash occured many times & always for the same reason

It sounds like CSCsr94207 but I have removed all ntp-server lines from config

Bug Details Bug #7 of 20 | < Previous | Next >

Bus error crash in NTP

Symptoms: The following bus error crash occurs:

Address Error (load or instruction fetch) exception, CPU signal 10, PC = 0xXXXXXX

Conditions: "ntp broadcast destination" must be configured. Just having an NTP peer configured is not enough to trigger this crash.

Cisco IOS Software, 2800 Software (C2800NM-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.4(20)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc4)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2009 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Sat 31-Jan-09 13:46 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)T7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

rtrvpnsig uptime is 4 days, 7 hours, 20 minutes

System returned to ROM by bus error at PC 0x4169FF90, address 0x813B at 10:08:11 CET Fri Apr 3 2009

System restarted at 10:09:28 CET Fri Apr 3 2009

System image file is "flash:c2800nm-advsecurityk9-mz.124-20.T2.bin"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United

States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and

use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply

third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.

Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for

compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you

agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable

to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:

http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to

export@cisco.com.

Cisco 2821 (revision 53.51) with 247808K/14336K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FCZ093274P9

4 FastEthernet interfaces

2 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module

DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity enabled.

239K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

62592K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Fremont

I have looked at one of the crashinfo files. I do not have enough information available to decode it, but the TAC would.

If your router is crashing time after time I believe that you have 2 reasonable choices:

- upgrade the code to a more recent version which hopefully does not have the problem that you currently experience. there are versions 12.4(23)T and 12.4(24)T that are available.

- open a case with Cisco TAC and hope that they can identify the cause of the crashes and advise you what to do.

I guess that you also have a choice to manipulate the configuration and hope that you can avoid the trigger of the crash. But I do not think that this is a very good choice.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for your replies

I know 12.4(24)T is available but my router is in prod and I don't know which new problems I can discover.

I prefer to be advised by TAC before.

By experience (the last one was on 12.4(22)T) which I downgraded to 12.4(20)T2, I heard that it was less risky to wait for T1,T2,... releases rather than trying first T rel.

I also don't know if standard train release (not T) contains features I need like object-groups for Acls (may be I must wait for a long time).

Is TAC looking at this forum ?

Do you know a way to contact them by web ?

My PICA account doesnt allow to open a case to TAC.

regards

Alain

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I get chills when I see " Address Error (load or instruction fetch) exception". Can't be that you have a misconfiguration so I am leaning towards an IOS bug.

Give TAC a call. I could be wrong.

Alain

I am not sure that there are good answers for the situation that you describe. There are Cisco people who participate in this forum and I suspect that some may work in the TAC. But I would not consider the forum to be an effective way to get the TAC involved in your issue.

If your PICA does not permit opening a case with TAC, does anyone in your organization have the ability to open a TAC case? Or does anyone in the reseller who sold you the equipment have the ability to open a TAC case?

If you can not find someone who can open a TAC case then I am not sure how you can get to be advised by TAC on this issue. The alternative would seem to be to try other releases from the list of available releases, perhaps looking for releases which have gone to T2 or T3.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello,

I am looking with Cisco commercial if they can relay to TAC, since I have a maintenance contract for another router (7204VXR)

reboot is not recuring too much so I can also wait for a more stable release

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: