cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

User Tracking in Campus Manager

msalim
Level 1
Level 1

How can I configure CM or RME to collect endhost information on cat3560 switches, such IP, hostname, username and subnet. The end host report displays mac address, device name, port and vlan, but doesn't show IP address, host and subnet of the endhost connected to the switch device. We are running LMS3.1

Thanks,

11 Replies 11

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For IP address, you need to make sure the router that holds the ARP MAC-to-IP mappings is Data Collected by Campus Manager and shows up with a green router icon on the Topology Map. For username, your Windows end hosts need to be running the UTLite tool, and sending UTLite updates to the Campus Manager server.

More details on installing UTLite can be found in the Campus Manager online help. Just search for UTLite.

I forgot to mention that all cat3560 are running as layer 2 devices and shows as green in topology map.

Thanks.

My comments remain the same. You need to make sure the ROUTER which holds the ARP entries for the MACs showing up in your end host report have also been Data Collected.

In that case I have to add our Juninper FW, which is also providing routing services for our VLANs. I tried to add FW from common services using include option, and ran discovery again. It didn't discover any device, but when I removed FW, it would discover previously discovered devices. How can I add FW, so that it will be added during data collection either through CS or CM.

You can't. Campus Manager can only manage Cisco devices, and has no support for Cisco firewalls due to a lack of CDP. A typical recommendation is to put a Cisco router along side the Juniper. Point all of the end hosts to the Cisco router which will then send an ICMP redirect for the Juniper FW. Therefore, the Juniper will still be doing the routing, but the Cisco will build an ARP table.

However, if you start using UTLite on your Windows end hosts, the UTLite update packets will include the end host IP. While you won't get subnet information, you will be able to see the IPs in UT without the need for a Cisco router.

Is there anyway layer 2 switches can be configured to provide at least IP on the interfaces...

Thanks,

No, this is not possible. Campus will only treat Cat3560 switches as LAN switches, and will not be able to retrieve the ARP caches from them.

How about enabling layer 3 functionality on cat 3560 without configuring any routing? Would that help?

Thanks,

No. Campus will only manage the 3560 as a layer 2 switch.

Questions I have now. Is CiscoWorks UserTrackingUitlity integrated into LMS 3.1? If not, then how it's different then using User Tracking in LMS CM.

Secondly, if I use Ulite for Windows AD, would that populate CM database to display username, IP, mac address and switch interface in CM report without accessing router arp table. As I mentioned earlier we are running FW for our VLAN routing.

Thanks,

The UTU provides a quick way of searching the User Tracking database from a Windows PC. It still relies on the same data that you would otherwise see running a UT report.

If you use UTLite, you will be able to see IP information in User Tracking without the need for ARP entries.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco