cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Type: UNKNOWN using CS and viewing devices

stephenscott
Level 1
Level 1

I am having trouble with CS recognizing device types. I have over 330 devices in my database and some of them are showing up as unknown under device type. What causes this? The devices are mostly 1131 AP's but I have a 6513 that is showing up as unknown. Any ideas?

18 Replies 18

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Either your version of the Common Services MDF is out-of-date, or the devices have not been contacted via SNMP by another LMS application (e.g. Discovery, Campus Manager, RME, etc.). Once an LMS application is able to determine the sysObjectID of a device, it will update DCR with that information. Only then will DCR mark a device with its correct type.

Thanks jclarke...is there a way to test SNMP connectivity to a device from CiscoWorks?

You can do this from Device Center. You can do either Management Station to Device or try and do an SNMP Walk with a starting OID of "sysObjectID".

SNMP looks like it passed...

Interface Test Results

Note: Protocol connectivity has been checked. Credentials for the protocol have not been tested. Interface Found: 172.x.x.x Status: UP ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Test Results SNMPRv2c(Read) Okay sent: 5 recvd: 5 min: 0 max: 0 avg: 0 timeout: 2 min_size: 1472 protocol: snmpv3_get port: 0 SNMPWv2c(Write) Okay sent: 5 recvd: 5 min: 0 max: 0 avg: 0 timeout: 2 min_size: 1472 protocol: snmpv3_set port: 0

I can post the entire walk output if it would help. Thanks for your invaluable assistance.

What are the sysObjectIDs from these unknown devices? Also, post NMSROOT/lib/classpath/com/cisco/nm/cwcs/mdf/mdfdata.xml .

The following is a SNMP walk of device 172.x.x.x starting from sysObjectID

SNMP Walk Output

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sysObjectID

RFC1213-MIB::sysObjectID.0 = OID: CISCO-PRODUCTS-MIB::ciscoAIRAP1130

mdfdata.xml -> attached

This device is supported by the current MDF. Make sure the credentials in DCR are correct (i.e. that the SNMP community strings agree with what you tested), then add this device to RME, DFM, etc. It should soon be updated to show the proper type.

Thanks jclarke,

I looked at the credentials and all seems right. I have a set of 16 AP's that are not working out of over 130. 9 are all on one subnet. the other 8 are on another subnet but i have some others on the subnet with the 8 that arent working that are working...is that confusing enough? I can not find anything out of sorts, but something obviously is...

All 9 on 172.16.110.x are not working

8 on 172.16.40.x are not working but 6 are.

the subnet may not have anything to do with this problem...but i found it interesting.

Does this server have RME installed?

yes

Then remove one of the unknown devices from DCR, and disable DCR auto-sync under RME > Admin > Device Management > Device Management Settings. Re-add the device to DCR. Then go to RME > Devices > Device Management > RME Devices, and manually add the device from DCR to RME. See if device moves to a known type.

thanks j.

i tried the aforementioned process and no luck. the device type is still unknown.

I suggest you open a TAC service request so additional debugging can be performed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: