cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Getting an IP phone to talk to analog phones on same router

crunchyhippo
Level 1
Level 1

I have one voice router, to which I've attached two analog phones and a switch. To the switch I have an IP phone. The analog phones are talking to each other and configured fine. What commands would work on the router to enable the IP phone to communicate with the analog phones?

My issue is that they're all in the same network and using the same router. So when configuring the dial peer for the VoIP phone do I make it a POTS dial peer or a VOIP dial peer? If POTS, what would I put for the port? If VOIP, what would I put for the destination IP address(es)? I'm confused.

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Which IP phone is that ?

I have only one IP phone. It's connected to the same router that my two analog phones are connected to. My IP phone connects to a switch, which in turn connects to that router. You should not need any more information than this. It's a pretty basic problem.

Again, which maker/type of ip phone is it ?

Hi crunchyhippo, hope is all fine. It's not so simple to reply without knowing the IP phone type. If it's a Cisco one loaded with SCCP image, you need to enable telephony-services in your router (i.e. Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express, CUCME), ephone-dn for the phone number extension, ephone for hardware configuration, load proper SCCP firmware image into the router. Also, you need an IP address in routers VLAN for connectivity (which can be fixed or DHCPed right into router)

When the phone is loaded, registered and CUCME is proper configured it should be able to call other phones.

If the phone is SIP based (Cisco or not), you should be able to use it with CUCME 7 and later if I'm not wrong, by using SIP proxy and register functions.

Either way this forum's practice is to provide configuration parts of your setup so people can help you out.

Regards.

I don't know if it makes a difference in configuration, but I'm not using CUCME at all. The phone images are already present, I believe. My IP phones are Cisco 7940s.

Does the IP Phone have an extension or Directory Number (DN) attached to it? Also, is this router a voice gateway to a CUCM, where the phone would be registred to?

I mean, the phone should be registered to some call processing server, either a CUCM cluster or a CUCME router loaded with Telephone-Service like this sample from Cisco (full page at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps5520/products_configuration_example09186a008037f2a9.shtml )?

telephony-service

no auto-reg-ephone

load 7960-7940 P00307020300

max-ephones 144

max-dn 500

ip source-address 172.22.1.107 port 2000

max-redirect 15

service phone videoCapability 1

dialplan-pattern 1 5123781291 extension-length 4

voicemail 2000

max-conferences 8 gain -6

transfer-system full-consult

secondary-dialtone 9

create cnf-files version-stamp Jan 01 2002 00:00:00

!

!

ephone-dn 1

number 5550001

!

ephone-dn 2

number 5550002

!

ephone-dn 3

number 5550003

!

ephone 10

mac-address 1234.56ab.cdef

type 7940

button 1:3

! this phone uses DN 3 -->5550003

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: