Views
Helpful
Replies

Modular IOS and Regular IOS

Mhon Baul
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Can someone confirm if the modular ios is more stable than regular ios? Im using this Modular IOS in a 6509E and im getting high CPU,it shows on show process cpu that the ios-based is consuming more of the cpu process.

regrds,

reymon

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post what version and feature set you're using? I have >50 Sup32 and about 12 Sup720 running modular IOS and I have yet to make any complaints.

Hi leolaohoo ,

I'm using S72033-advipservicesk9-vz.122-33.SXI.bin and running VSS with FWSM. Before I use S72033-advipservicesk9-vz.122-33.SXH3.bin but this one doesnt support VSS with FWSM that's why I upgraded it to 122-33.SXI. Now I notice that upon converting to VSS, my CPU is always 40-50% and the ios-based consume about 30% and tcp.proc about 10%. What is the minimum cpu usage if you are running modular ios with VSS?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Recall while some releases of the non-modular IOS passed safe-harbor testing, same release of modular version did not. If true, and also considering that modular is "newer", would expect modular to be less stable. However, also believe current modular versions might be just a "good" as non-modular.

What release are you running?

hi joseph,

im running s72033-advipservicesk9-vz.122-33.SXI.bin.

rgds,

reymon

Well that's certainly current. If you have software maintenance, something you might want to pursue with TAC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco