cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MGCP PRI config example

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have 3 PRI's into gateways and I have been unable to get any of them to work under MGCP. The first 2 I gave up and reverted back to H323 but I am determined to get this last one working on MGCP.

Any config example would help.

The D channel comes up but it doesnt pass calls. csim's fail when attempting an outbound call....

Oh and qwest says the circuit shows in "lockout" on there side whenever I bring it up under mgcp control...

controller T1 3/0

framing esf

linecode b8zs

pri-group timeslots 1-24 service mgcp

interface Serial3/0:23

no ip address

encapsulation hdlc

isdn switch-type primary-ni

isdn protocol-emulate network

isdn incoming-voice voice

isdn bind-l3 ccm-manager

no cdp enable

dial-peer voice 101 pots

service mgcpapp

destination-pattern 6917404639515

port 3/0:23

forward-digits 10

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The first 2 I gave up and reverted back to H323 but I am determined to get this last one working on MGCP.

Why ?

well the first two we were in a major hurry and I didnt have time to play and make it work.

The 3rd we are in slightly less of a hurry AND this gateway has multiple tie lines in it so in order for me to route different partitions out particular trunks I need to have this one as an MGCP endpoint..

I suppose I could do it with dial-peers maybe.

Phone 82001000 in partition A to use trunk A

and phone 82002000 in partition B to use trunk B

Again with those trunks on the same physical gateway. If you have a clean way of doing it on h323 I am all ears.

Routing on calling number is much more flexible with H.323, see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_configuration_example09186a00801c0a88.shtml

A variation of the above is with COR. The advantage is never messing with the called number. However, the basic logic (answer-address) is the same.

Okay I could do that, but my local sales rep keeps beating on me to get everything on MGCP.

What is the benefit if you need to do all the work on the router for SRST anyway.

"sales rep" ? As an engineer, you are supposed to tell him/her how things are properly done, not vice-versa.

For SRST, try "CME mode". Chances are you will like it and forget about MGCP once for all.

Vance Krier
Level 4
Level 4

Well, I'm going to go against the steam here and disagree with Paulo..but definitely no disrespect intended.

I much prefer MGCP. I enjoy h323's stability, however in most situations, MGCP's ease of configuration makes it my preferred method. Especially when dealing with alot of gateways in an environment.

Following are some excerpts from my mgcp config script. Couple things that will get you:

1) Issue a show ccm and verify the router name is identical to the one you program in CCM. If there is a domain name programmed on the router, either remove it from the router or add it to the gateway in CCM, but they must match.

2) A dial-peer is not necessary for the PRI if there are no other configs...like SRST. Basically, you only need it if you have an overlapping config on the gateway and you need to make sure it hits the MGCP dial-peer first. Again, most common in SRST environments.

! *****************

controller T1 3/0

framing esf

linecode b8zs

pri-group timeslots 1-24 service mgcp

exit

interface Serial3/0:23

isdn bind-l3 ccm-manager

exit

! Optional...See #2 above.

dial-peer voice 1000 pots

incoming called-number .

direct-inward-dial

service mgcpapp

port 3/0:23

exit

application

global

service alternate default

ccm-manager fallback-mgcp

ccm-manager redundant-host

ccm-manager mgcp

no ccm-manager fax protocol cisco

ccm-manager music-on-hold

!

mgcp

mgcp call-agent service-type mgcp version 0.1

mgcp dtmf-relay voip codec all mode out-of-band

mgcp modem passthrough voip mode nse

mgcp package-capability rtp-package

no mgcp package-capability fxr-package

no mgcp timer receive-rtcp

mgcp fax t38 inhibit

mgcp bind control source-interface GigabitEthernet0/1

mgcp bind media source-interface GigabitEthernet0/1

! *****************

Good luck!

Vance

As far as MGCP examples go, this can't be beat:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a00807f8b31.shtml

On the H323/MGCP issue:

If you don't know much about voice, or your knowledge is better with CUCM, MGCP is better for your deployment.

If you know voice gateways, and like/need control on your calls, H323 works better.

hth,

nick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: