cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7962 errors out on upgrade

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

New 7962 right out of the box. It posts and then says "upgrading", then is says "error" and goes to the cisco splash with a little bullseye in the left bottom corner.

Is it bad out of the box or is there way to reset and save it?

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is not bad, most likely you do not have the right files in the TFTP server.

I have 40 other 7962's working fine. Is the difference in the firmware on the phone presently so much older it doesnt acknowledge the new stuff on the server?

A single missing or corrupt file can cause what you see. The other phones might not have needed upgrade, or done it when all files were OK.

If you want to see yourself "who is right", download tftp32 and the FW files to an isolated PC, connect the phone to it, and observe the boot/upgrade process.

Ive got solarwinds tftp running on my box, I will try that and see.....

(but since I just updated it all last month I really think the phone is hosed.)

Not applicable

well we were both right.

The firmware on the phone was corrupt.

The firmware on the server was good.

The phone apparently had corrupt software on 8-3-2S and was trying pull that specific version from the server. So I put the old version on my laptop as you suggested and it completed the install. then I plugged it into the network and it pulled the new version from the server and worked perfectly.

Thanks for getting me on the right path.

No problem. You can also always perform a keypad reset and the phone will pull term62.default.loads that you should always have on the TFTP server.