Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 6500 redundant Supervisors

r.robins
Level 1
Level 1

Can any one help.

I have just got a 6506 with 2 Sup720 modules and think I must be missing something. If both Sup's are installed only one boots fully and the other boots to rommon. If you have just one installed it boots fine, then put then power down and swap them over and the Supervisor boots OK.

Do you need to have the sups in a specific slot for them both to boot properly and become redundant.

4 Replies 4

mark.cronin
Level 2
Level 2

Which slots have you installed the Supervisors in?

What software version have you got on the primary Supervisor?

If you swap the supervisors around does the same Supervisor boot to rmon?

If you issue a show module what output do you get?

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Richard,

The supervisors must reside in slots 5 & 6. Which slots are you currently trying to use?

HTH,

Mark

The sup's are in slot 5 and 6, doesn't seem to matter which is in which slot, you always get one that boots OK and one that goes into rommon.

IOS is 12.2.33 IPservicesK9 (required for NAC)

I have even booted them one at a time and added boot statement to boot from sup-bootflash.

IOS resides on sup-bootflash and flash card Disk0:

Show module shows the Supervisor 720 with full info on the one that has boot and Supervisor 720 (other) for the one in rommon.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Console into the sup that goes into rommon and find out what error messages are displayed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card