cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

S/N lookup to see which model AP I am working with

cbetzer
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a web link that I can use on the Cisco.com web site to find out what model of a AP was purchased? I am trying to figure out which AP we own and if it is a LAP521.

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try using the CLI: sh inventory

Thank you for the reply.

And here is what is said:

ap>sh inventory

NAME: "AP520", DESCR: "Cisco Aironet 520 Series (IEEE 802.11b/g) Access Point"

PID: AIR-AP521G-A-K9 , VID: V01, SN: FTXXXXXXXXXXX

I am trying to get this AP to work with a 526 Control Manager, and everything I am reading says I need to use a LAP521 AP.

This is what I am trying to figure out, if the purchased AP listed above is one that will work with the 526 Control Manager or do I need to convert the AIR-AP521G-A-K9 into a AIR-LAP521G-A-K9 because the company purchased the wrong AP to work with the 526?

Firstly, I'm not familiar with the AP520 nor the WLC526.

Whether your AP is identified as AIR-AP or AIR-LAP it all depends on the firmware it's currently running. Confused? Good.

AP's can run either Autonomous IOS (aIOS) or CAPWAP/LWAP IOS or "lite" (aka RCV image).

So, if you mistakenly ordered an AIR-AP (AP with Autonomous IOS), it's no biggie, you can convert it to CAPWAP/LWAP IOS.

Converting an Autonomous Access Point using CCA

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/526/1.5/configuration/guide/A2_aap.html

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card