Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1200 not broadcasting; lost password

bobbyd1120
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have limited experience w/ Cisco equipment, yet have recently taken a position that heavily using Cisco. I am actively working on expanding my knowledge, but have ran into an issue with a device that was installed/configured prior to me.

I have 2 aironet 1200's in the office. Both are set to the same SSID, however one is not broadcasting. I used netStumbler and am only seeing on the devices; the other AP is not showing up and even when right next to it you have a very weak signal. Therfore I suspect the user is still conencted to AP 1.

I can telnet into AP 2 and log in using Cisco/Cisco and perform basic commands such as show ver, etc. However I do not have the password to log into the web interface or to use the enable commands.

I attempted to follow the password recovery at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_password_recovery09186a00800949d0.shtml

However, I must be doing something wrong. I telnet to the device, log in w/ Cisco/Cisco and power cycle but I never see the Summary Status screen it speaks of.

What am I doing wrong? Thank you very much for your help!

4 Replies 4

I think you need to be connected via the console port, not telnet, in order to do a password reset. Also, my understanding of the instructions is that you need to console in and see the summary screen *before* rebooting the AP.

Thank you! OK, Ive connected via the console and am now able to see the summary screen on boot. But I must still be missing something, by following the instructions it sates to press *CTRL-W* w/ in five seconds after seeing Memory:File. Holding CTRL, pressing W does nothing. I have tried this key combination multiple times during the summary screen and still nothing. When should I do this?

Attached is the summary boot screen, hopefully it will help.

as a follow up I just obtained the status light indications. Upon completion of boot the "radio" button is not on at all. Both others are normal. During the boot up the radio light does come on and then goes off once the boot is complete.

So it appears that somehow radio has been turned off on the device. Unfortunately as I do not have the UN/PW to log in it appears that I still need to perform the reset?

Hope this helps for you.

Password Recovery Procedure for the Cisco Aironet Equipment

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_password_recovery09186a00800949d0.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card