Views
Helpful
Replies

syslog collector status all zeros

js88888888
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm running RME 4.0.6 and used to get notifications via Automated Actions for specific facilities/keywords but those haven't come in a while. I checked the Syslog Collector Status and all columns have a zero count. This doesn't seem normal but hey I could be wrong....

thanks

js

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is this on Windows or Solaris?

This is on windows.

Check the syslog.log to see if new messages are arriving in this file. Make sure the crmlog service is running, and bound to UDP port 514.

The syslog service is running. However, the syslog.log file shows it is 4.3GB and was last modified on 3/12/09. I can't open it due to its size. Would this be the problem? Plenty of CPU and memory available.

You should consider zeroing it out. Stop the crmlog service, then run:

pdterm SyslogCollector SyslogAnalyzer

Then run:

logrot_trunc NMSROOT\log\syslog.log

That will zero out the file. Then restart the crmlog service, and run:

pdexec SyslogCollector SyslogAnalyzer

Then watch the file to see that new messages arrive. If they do, the syslog counts should increment.

Thanks much, this did the trick. Can this be scheduled via Ciscoworks or RME? Or somehow automatically managed?

You can configure logrot.pl to do this automatically. Consult the Common Services online help for more details on configuring logrot. Just search for "logrot". Once you have it configured, you can schedule it with the Windows AT command.