Views
Helpful
Replies

Need Network Monitoring Tool Recommendation

visitor68
Level 4
Level 4

Hello:

I have a small network, about 40 or so nodes that include switches, routers and firewalls.

I dont have a big budget and I dont want to get crazy with cost.

I also need something that is pretty straightforward and easy to deploy because I dont have a lot of people to work on it. The staff is also a bit inexperienced. When I say easy to deploy, I mean installation and configuration.

What would you recommend?

There are free ones out there, but I am not talking about those. I am talking about ones you purchase, like Orion.

Is Solarwinds Orion a good tool that fits my purposes?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

On the server you add the device by entering the IP address of the network device, the SNMP version (v1 or v2c will work with the commands above) and the SNMP community string. Then select what you want to monitor (e.g. interfaces, CPU, etc). Then go to the web interface of Orion and you should see your device. If you want added security you can use SNMPv3. I created a how-to for others it may help if you go that route.

https://packetpros.com/netmon/SNMPv3_Orion.html

The first screenshot is how you add the device.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Solarwinds is very easy to deploy and use, I have no problem recommending them.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

Now, do you need to be a brainiac?

I will have one guy installing it who is smart, but not too well versed on UNIX or SNMP, MIBs, etc. Hes a hard core R&S guy, though.

What do you think?

Thank you, again

All you need to do is configure SNMP on the devices, then point Solarwinds to the device. Here's how to configure SNMP on router/switches-

snmp-server community [your community string here] RO 50

snmp-server ifindex persist

access-list 50 remark Allow SNMP

access-list 50 permit [server IP here]

The 50 after your community string points to an ACL to restrict SNMP access.

It's that simple!

Wow!

And what do I have to do on the Solarwinds side?

Dont I have to enter the device name, IP address, etc and build a database for it there?

I remember doing something similar with TACACS years ago.

I configured aaa on the appliances, but then had to enter hostname, IP address info on the TACACS server itself....

:-)

On the server you add the device by entering the IP address of the network device, the SNMP version (v1 or v2c will work with the commands above) and the SNMP community string. Then select what you want to monitor (e.g. interfaces, CPU, etc). Then go to the web interface of Orion and you should see your device. If you want added security you can use SNMPv3. I created a how-to for others it may help if you go that route.

https://packetpros.com/netmon/SNMPv3_Orion.html

The first screenshot is how you add the device.

Colin:

Thank you very much, my friend.

Let me review what you've sent and if I have a question, I would like to reach out to you again.

Really appreciate it...

Rated...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: